• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Manipulating choke performance

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Tread VERY VERY Carefully before you touch the barrels or any of that.. They are more than likely just bored Very Tight. Check the proof stamp under the barrels .It will tell you the bore.. At that time Jo was boring a lot of 17 bores.. I've shot English Partridges with 2 of them years ago.. It could be worth several Thousand ££ if it's mint.. The Hammer noses Are Jo's patent replaceable ones. See THE MANTONS, Gunmakers, By Neal & Back.1966. Published 1967 by Herbert Jenkins Ltd. 2 Clement Inn. London WC2 See Plate No's 94--107 to 110. Covers the range nicely..O.D.

Last edited:
With older damascus barreled shotguns the gauges weren't limited to even numbers. It is not uncommon to find 13, 14, or 15 gauge barrels. In this case, where it is reported that the chokes on a 16 gauge are full/full, it is very possible that they are 15 gauge cylinder bores or something similiar.

The Seller is a knowledgeable and reputable company. They specified F/F and confirmed it’s marked 16b. However, I really doubt it’s Full. I don’t know if they measured more than one spot at the muzzle. I’ll get it and find out!

With older damascus barreled shotguns the gauges weren't limited to even numbers. It is not uncommon to find 13, 14, or 15 gauge barrels. In this case, where it is reported that the chokes on a 16 gauge are full/full, it is very possible that they are 15 gauge cylinder bores or something similiar.
Well said, Hidden, Sparkitoff, People should Find a library with a copy of The MANTONS. Jos. and John built game guns with bores from 22b up to 10b in even and odd numbers in Flint lock and Cap lock from late 1700's There are seveal Jo's listed at 22b + 19b + 17 + 16 + 15 +14 ETC.. and I've yet to hear of one with choke bores. In the period that was made and before, tubes were often bored tight for 1/3rd at the beach, then parallel and opened up at the last 1/3 to the muzzle and they shot tight patters if they are loaded properly.
Hawker quotes for OLD JOE ,16b- 21/2 drams of good powder with 11/2 oz of 4's for Hares to 70 yds, Instuctians to Young Sportsmen is another worth finding in a Library or one of the Facimily copies on the market..O.D..

Back