• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Man Who Stole Johann Christian Oerter Rifle Sentenced

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's good to see stolen artifacts returned to museums or the original donors.

Many years ago, when the old Marine Corps Heritage Center was at the Washington Navy Yard a Beretta ** ****** was stolen from a display case. The thief managed to replace the firing pin and firing pin spring which had been removed prior to it going on display. He later shot himself in the leg while attempting to rob someone. You can't make this stuff up.

It took forever to get the pistol back, and even longer to properly remove all of the fingerprint dust from it, but it was nice to get it back into the collection.

The FBI actually has a small unit that is tasked with recovering stolen museum artifacts.

Last edited:
Wish I had been to that barn sale. Only ever seen 1 flintlock for sale at a yard/barn sale and bought it for $50. Was loaded, and in good shape, and have fired it. TC renegade I think in .50. I know it's a short carbine just can't remember model right now.

I might have to go try and see it this week and if it I on display, I will post pictures. It's only 7 miles from me, drove past there yesterday twice. Didn't know the visitors center was back open. It had been closed for renovations for seemed like 2 year.

It appears this guy had done this several times; many more I’m sure we’ll never know about. He should make and complete restitution; then, once the victims have been compensated. Hang him.

I have also been the victim of theft. An original Springfield trapdoor and a Remington rolling block. So, for me sympathy is not really there. I think we should not think of this guy as an 80-year-old but rather as the 30-year-old who committed the crime and robbed many people of the right to view it. He had 50 years to return it, anonymously, but chose not to. That is my take on that. But here is the more clinical aspect. I have been in the insurance business for 25 years with a specialty in antiquities and art. I have worked with many museums. If this item was insured and a payment was made, even a penny, it is now the property of the insurance company that made the payout. This is how several items of historical significance hit the private market. Is this good or bad? I really do not know. It would be sad if the Valley Forge Museum has to re-purchase the item in order to display it but who knows? Just my two cents on this.

Would the statute of limitations run out on a theft 50 years ago and what was the value then and now? Sorry, just trying to understand the sentence.
Wonder if he shot the stolen items , displayed them , or just stashed them in the barn

It would be sad if the Valley Forge Museum has to re-purchase the item in order to display it but who knows? Just my two cents on this.

The rifle was on loan to the museum when stolen.

"The rifle belongs to the Pennsylvania Society of Sons of the Revolution. It was on loan to the Valley Forge State Park Museum when it was stolen. After it was returned in 2019, it was put on display at the Museum of the American Revolution in Philadelphia."

Man who stole Revolutionary-era rifle from museum decades ago sentenced to 1 day (msn.com)

It appears this guy had done this several times; many more I’m sure we’ll never know about. He should make and complete restitution; then, once the victims have been compensated. Hang him.
I concur! Although hangins’ too good for him.
I have ZERO sympathy for thieves… murderers maybe but Zero for thieves.
Hang them at halftime.

why do so many people cry over criminals when they get cought??? mabey they would think different if it was them that got hit by them??? just mabey?????, no?

I'm just glad the old girl is back on display for all to enjoy. What blows me away is that this guy kept the thing for half a century. I stole a few things as a young kid in a couple moments of idiocy, but I soon 'fessed up and took my punishment, as the guilt didn't allow me to enjoy the things I'd stolen and was eating me up inside. 😓🙁 That said, I think the punishment was fair enough in this case (assuming the judgment was made based upon his ability to actually come up with the financial restitution).

Latest posts

Back