• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Mammoth ivory inlay...

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Gangreen, if you did have trouble getting the inlay back out after sanding flush, just super glue a pencil or something to it and lift it out. Thatd be easy to fix.

My intention and desire is to keep it in its raw form and NOT to stain it, that's why I ask the question. I'm curious how to inlet it and file it flush with the stock before staining and then to protect it so that it won't take the stain.
Oh, I see! Guess I'd do all inletting except final mounting of ivory until after staining. Good luck, the ivory is really classy!

Never tried it but what about Wax?
Set the ivory inlay, melt a coat of bee's wax (use a small brush, apply a few coats). Then after staining, sand away.
Only problem might be that it could leak around edges however..

Make/install the inlay permanently, sand flush with the stock, then wipe on a heavy coat of paste wax on the surface of the inlay, being careful to get the wax exactly to the edge of the inlay.

To do that, you can temporarily run masking tape on the stock wood around the inlay to protect it, then pull off the tape when done waxing the inlay.

While I've had paint creep under masking tape, I've never had anything get through the dried wax.

Do not buff the wax off until the stock staining & finishing is done.

You've gotten a lot of nice replies, but it's best to do all staining, sanding, etc., THEN cement in Ivory; pre-place and fit it loose, stain, then set it up. All the other options have 'leakage' possibilities. I've never used Mammoth, but would love to on something. Very cool thing to do. Best of luck!

"..... out of mammoth ivory?"
Out of ivory? I buy it by the cake

ivory.PNG

About Mammoth ivory; I have a Mori Hook (necklace) I got some 15 years ago from a site "Whereonearth". It starts out white (depending on its quality, actually more a light off white-yellow). Upon wearing it, it will absorb your body salts and begin to turn a golden, golden-brown. The old sailors said it 'bonds' with its owner and gives protective properties.

Not that I buy into all that old wives tale stuff...but that is what they say.

Mine has now turned a nice golden brown patina. (I do have a few stories to tell, but for another forum perhaps)

You should be able to get New skin or Nexcare brand skin crack repair at most pharmacies. However, since alcohol will remove them, they may not protect from a solvent-based stain or acid-based grain enhancement.
Good luck. Interesting problem. Please post the result.

I think most people are imagining your inlays as paper white. And it puts them off.
I am making plans for a SMR with some bone added, comb or toe plate etc. But I envision it stained and steel wooled back to look more like old bone.
If you are not counting on obtaining stark white on the finished inlay, you could get it close to finished depth and thickness. Remove the inlay to stain the stock. Stain the inlay separately. Then steel wool the inlay to the depth/ color you would like and re install. No wet stock stain on the inlay. No wet inlay stain on the stock. Any touch up would be at a minimum.

Maybe someone better than I am at it could do so, but I really like to have my inlays perfectly flush with the stock and the only way to really do that is to sand it flush after inletting it, at least for me. Since I don't have Nu-skin or something like that to use, I really think I might be able to tape it with painter's tape, but that's going to require some care and hopefully the stain won't simply work its way underneath the tape and onto the ivory anyway.
My thought, after smoothing the stock & inlay, remove the inlay, stain the stock, THEN, sand the back side of the inlay until the front is the right height. Then glue it (or however you want to attach it).

Using ivory may be a problem. In many areas, it's restricted or outright illegal unless you can prove the source. It may render the gun essentially worthless or even contraband.
Once its' in the wood it magically becomes bone.
Robby

Does anyone know if Mammoth ivory takes wood/leather stain? If so, how can I protect it when I stain my stock? Blue painter's tape? I haven't done so yet, but I'm thinking about doing a cheekpiece inlay with Mammoth ivory and I'd like to know that it's not going to look bad.

Nobody had addressed the original question, "I'd like to know that it's not going to look bad". IMHO it will look wrong. Cheek piece inlays were originally done with engraved metal. Brass or silver. That is not to say somebody did not use other things but mostly they were not quality gunsmiths.

OF course, It is your gun, you can do whatever you want. IF you must proceed, I see not reason to stain it.

Back