• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Making your own percussion caps?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just thinking. Would it be possible to repurpose a used rifle primer into a #11 cap? Some sort of tool would be needed and the removal of the anvil.

Attachments

• 20210124_192842.jpg
    20210124_192842.jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 117
The answer is yes you can. There will be a problem though. Once you get the cups sized down . They would have to be loose on the nipple. The cup being hard and not flexable at all . This could still work on a sidelock rifle where the nipple is mostly up. You could use them at a range where you can control things..
n.h.schmidt

I have almost 2 pounds of 4f powder, can that be used as the primer and then put the binder on or is that too dangerous? I already have the Forster cap maker. TIA

I have almost 2 pounds of 4f powder, can that be used as the primer and then put the binder on or is that too dangerous? I already have the Forster cap maker. TIA

I am pretty sure that 4f black powder does not ignite when exposed to a concussive force like a primer material does.

As was said in the shortage thread. Knowledge is power. There have already been a bunch of people for hundreds of years that have asked “what if” so we can safely know. Best to rely on their experience rather than experimenting ourselves.

I am pretty sure that 4f black powder does not ignite when exposed to a concussive force like a primer material does.
When combined with whichever improvised priming compound you are experimenting with, a tiny amount of black powder really increases the power of the charge of the cap. Mix wet with alcohol or water and in small amounts only. I mix in small Tupperware when my wife is not looking, although she doesn’t really care that much. Wear a good face shield for minimum safety requirements

Have read that gelatin in the mix will improve it`s adhesion to the inside of the cap, making them more resistant to rough handling if you will, but will need a fairly strong mainspring to set it off. I have not tried this myself, but it is in the list of experiments. No idea what the ratio would be.

This is some really good info. I have plenty of primers and about 700 #11 caps. However, I have not seen a primer in months and # 11 caps are getting hard to find too.

I bought the cap former when it was only 20 bucks. The powders to mix up I
have not tried. For me it is just a back-up item. Caps are being made every day.
Supply will come back But at what price? Also with Remington's bankruptcy
will those be back at the same quality? Remember the "controllers" want to
stop online sales. Hopefully they fail. But be ready to plow around your problems.
The weak points of percussion muzzleloading is caps and powder. We all know what time
of day it is. And what to do.

I ordered mine from 22 reloader. It hadn’t shipped in a while so I e-mailed him. He said his orders were backlogged. I’m sure that is true given the circumstances and glad he responded, but find the necessity to drop 60 bucks to hedge my bets and wait for weeks kind of annoying.

I ordered from them too. Contacted them after a week about tracking. I was told they are 4 weeks back ordered. Little disappointed about the shipping but I'm in no hurry I have about 500 caps was just liking to get one for the just in case scenario.
I ordered mine from 22 reloader. It hadn’t shipped in a while so I e-mailed him. He said his orders were backlogged. I’m sure that is true given the circumstances and glad he responded, but find the necessity to drop 60 bucks to hedge my bets and wait for weeks kind of annoying.

BP won't work in caps and has very little benefit if added to the concussive powder. Most caps use either a picrate or a fulminate. Used to be mercury fulminate but I heard they phased that out due to hazmat issues. They usually use a starch of some sort for a binder with either water or alcohol to moisten but I have used red gum and powdered PVC/ MEK to make some effects. I won't go into detail because of forum rules.
Even with all the tools chemicals and experience I have I still find it cheaper to buy commercial caps. I saw some at Bass Pro last week so they are still out there.
Feel free to SAFELY experiment and be a rugged survivalist but don't plan on it being better or cheaper.

You could always change the lock and join the ranks of rock scratchers :thumb:

Back