• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Making your own percussion caps?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In case anyone is interested 5 punched out caps with a drop or two of acetone / Duco mix in the Sharpshooter 22 cap former caps work well.
im trying 3 caps next time .

I used to punch out the role caps for my percussion caps. Five was about the limit and mostly filled the cups They also didn't work very well . A lot of paper to shoot through that tiny hole in the nipple. What did work was lifting the dots off of the paper to put into the cups. Without all that paper you can use a lot of dots.Six for the revolvers with black powder. Twelve for the side lock rifles.. For me this was as good as it gets until I started using the powders. When using so many dots the cost to make was getting too high to be worth doing. In getting the powders the cost per 100 is low and they work well for me. I do use pop cans and two layers make for a stronger cup.

I got out my old Tap-o-Cap. IT works fine. I need the hole punch to cut out roll caps. The size is 4mm aka 5/32". 3/16 might work...might. Has anyone located a hand held paper punch of that size?

BTW I never glued or sealed anything. I just stuffed the roll caps in the cap shell and used them.
I seen them using a star hole puncher instead of round ..said it better for holding in the mixture

Latest posts

Back