• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Making Willow Charcoal

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mtsage

36 Cl.
Reaction score
Montana now has a no open flame allowed because of fire situation in the state. My willow is cut and in a 1 gal. paint can with hole in lid. Can I use charcoal barbecue briquettes rather than wood for the heat source? Charcoal too hot, not hot enough? Thanks in advance

If it's in a fire pit or a 55 gallon drum, is it considered an open fire? With a 1 gallon paint can, it seems a large cooking pot or one of those 3 gallon cans diesel comes in, would work.

do like i do. wait until the Mrs is gone then in the center of the garage set the paint can on three bricks high to get space under, then set my weed burner on a couple bricks directing it at the retort.
as long as mama is gone for two hrs or so you're golden.
i always put the vent hole in the bottom of the can and watch it until it quits flaming. seems to hold the heat more evenly in the retort and less flash back into your char. ya want to cook it not burn it.

1 gallon paint can full with cover on , hole in lid for nail on an electric hotplate will work. I would do it out side. The willow charcoal will not be H?PC as wasn't used then but will be hard to tell when you are done

If it's in a fire pit or a 55 gallon drum, is it considered an open fire? With a 1 gallon paint can, it seems a large cooking pot or one of those 3 gallon cans diesel comes in, would work.
Per my fireman buddy, " You can grill or charcoal but that's it"

Hoffman historic on YouTube makes willow charcoal in a small can over a charcoal fire.
I have seen that video. Good one. Like I said in original posting, I can't have an open flame in MT at this time. Was wondering how a grill with barbecue briquettes would work.
Thanks

I always put the vent hole in the bottom of the can and watch it until it quits flaming. seems to hold the heat more evenly in the retort and less flash back into your char. ya want to cook it not burn it.
Thanks deerstalkert! I haven't made any yet, but will soon as I've collected some willow from the back yard.

Let me see if I understood you correctly:

Put the hole in the bottom of the can. Set it in the flame, or on the burner, right-side-up with the hole down?

You direct the weed burner at the side of the can?

The way I've seen it always done is with the vent on the top side, and flames coming out the top.

So yours flames with the hole in the bottom of the can?

Per my fireman buddy, " You can grill or charcoal but that's it"
A Coleman Stove will do it, An adjustable single burning gas ring (like a turkey fryer) will do it, and both will fit into your fireman buddy's category of safe stuff.
(It's good to have a friend on the local FD)
Briquettes will not provide enough direct heat. A gas "grill" has plates to disperse heat, and again will not providing enough direct heat, to properly char the contents of can.
If ya have a grill,, ya got a 20 pounder layin around,,

It's time to get that turkey fryer set up,, shop around,,

Open flame meaning a wood burning flame? I betcha that the turkey fryer is not considered "open flame" especially if you use it in your yard or on a patio of some sort.

A turkey fryer will provide enough heat to retort willow into charcoal. Pine, cedar or fir makes good charcoal for mixing BP as well.

I bet you can come up with a way to retort wood into charcoal. Haven't tryed but have read that briquettes make very poor black powder.

You’re going to have to experiment. I make charcoal that we sell, give as gifts, and use, and the secret to our high quality is sustained high heat. Briquettes can provide high heat, but only close up and not for long. But if you are making a small volume, it might be hot enough long enough

I use a wood stove for heat. Makes great charcoal using a gallon can. I use poplar because that's what I have. Works very well.

Well the barbi grill it was. 5.5 hours to get the willow charcoal. And it turned out good. But took wayyyyy too long on the barbi. Will not be doing that method of heat on the next batch for sure. Now on to making of the BP. First batcher here so its all new to me. Thanks for good suggestions.

Attachments

• IMG_5092.JPG
    IMG_5092.JPG
    54.8 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_5093.JPG
    IMG_5093.JPG
    51.9 KB · Views: 50
I've heard soft woods make the best charcoal - willow and grape are the two I recall.

Eddie - on the wood stove, do you put the can on a burner or in the oven?

Looks good, mtsage. Next step is breaking it into smaller chunks and a period in the ball mill.

Latest posts

Back