• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Making what you need.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scoper05

Pilgrim
Reaction score
Hello,
I made myself a little ball bag because the one that I had was a little to big for my shooting bag this one only holds about 15 or balls.
I was just wanting to know what are some of the things that you guys have made for your shooting bags and your haversacks instead of buying the stuff.
I'm looking mostly for the P

Attachments

• 20190722_061927.jpg
    20190722_061927.jpg
    26.8 KB · Views: 130
That got cut off at the End. I'm looking for mostly for period Correct stuff that you guys have made.

Made my own powder horn. Nothing fancy, no engravings, no distressed appearance to look old, just a functional horn. Also made a powder measure from a shed deer antler that I found. I used a piece of the same antler to make a short starter. I also make my own ramrods from blanks.

I'm only a luke warm PC'er. I have made many of my own things for ml and those here are familiar with my preaching "do it yerself". Some things I have made: bags similar to yours. Any old leather can be used. I have scrounged leather from boots, furniture, belts, etc. Powder measures from antler. I have even turned muzzle protectors (bore guides) and jag tips from wood. Other powder measures from copper tubing. It is fun to do yer own thang. Keep it up, be imaginative.

I've made the ball pouch and a loading block. I like making my own stuff instead of buying it you got a lot more out of it.

I've made my shooting bags. I've made my touch hole picks. I've made the cartridge boxes/bags for my grenadier's uniform. I've made my shirts and breeches. I've assembled rifles from kits and sometimes from collections of parts. I've woven straps for my powder horns.

Currently the only thing I wear and use that was NOT made by me are my Arrow Mocs (they are just so Tough and Comfy!) and My felt hat! Everything else in between was made by my hand, from parts of course. I'm too poor to pay someone for something I can make myself! Plus as already said, using stuff you make is part of the fun!

Just remembered, I've also made loading blocks for myself and my son. Have made my own combination tool that is part screw driver part vent pick. Saw a picture of one for sale online and said to myself " I can make that for nothing", which I did.

I've made a few shooting bags, nothing fancy just a bag with a strap and buckle. I figure that most home made mountain man shooting bags were pretty simple and tossed together with what ever was handy at the time.

I made several ball bags, each for a different caliber. also a couple of hunting bags. Probably not P/C but that's not my aim (no pun intended). :cool:

I was just wanting to know what are some of the things that you guys have made for your shooting bags and your haversacks instead of buying the stuff.
I'm looking mostly for the P
Everything! You can make everything
That is the beauty of muzzleloading.
I can knap my own flints, forge my own vent pick and turn screw, make my own ball starter, loading block, powder measure, cut my own patches, make my own lube, cast my own balls make my own bags, jags, cleaning supplies, cleaning solution and preservative and protectant.
It might be easier to list what I can't make, If i think of something.
Making stuff is one of the great joys of muzzleloading.

Everything! You can make everything
That is the beauty of muzzleloading.
I can knap my own flints, forge my own vent pick and turn screw, make my own ball starter, loading block, powder measure, cut my own patches, make my own lube, cast my own balls make my own bags, jags, cleaning supplies, cleaning solution and preservative and protectant.
It might be easier to list what I can't make, If i think of something.
Making stuff is one of the great joys of muzzleloading.
Well said.

One of my favorite things is looking through other peoples gear. photos, open shooting boxes at the range, watching people load and clean. trade blankets, vendors. etc.
The art, personality and creativity is utterly amazing.

All sorts of bags, clothing, a couple of tents, knap sacks, snap sacks, knife sheaths. Tried my hand at black smithing didn’t enjoy it, made some jack ware that I was not satisfied with.
Tanned some hides made sourkrut a bit of beer and wine.

I have made a few things but nothing is period correct. I couldn't begin to tell what era or what period in history any of my stuff represents. It's just homemade old looking stuff.

One of my favorite things is looking through other peoples gear. photos, open shooting boxes at the range, watching people load and clean. trade blankets, vendors. etc.
The art, personality and creativity is utterly amazing.

I enjoy this too but in a slightly different way. When I go to a show such as Dixon's, I look at the beautiful, but always overpriced wares to get ideas about what items I can make myself. My copies are never as pretty as the stuff I see but they're every bit as functional. Best of all I can make the items I see for next to nothing.

I enjoy this too but in a slightly different way. When I go to a show such as Dixon's, I look at the beautiful, but always overpriced wares to get ideas about what items I can make myself. My copies are never as pretty as the stuff I see but they're every bit as functional. Best of all I can make the items I see for next to nothing.
It is a good thing the vendors can't charge you for looking. You can get some pretty good ideas by just "eyeballing" someone else's high priced stuff. It is puzzling why some people charge so much at some of these shows and get-to-gethers.

That's the part I like about it. Making them for next to nothing.

Latest posts

Back