• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Making stuff

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike in FL

45 Cal.
Reaction score
I've said on here I don't take stuff into the wilderness with my muzzleloader that wasn't available "back then" for a mountain man or woodsman. No plastic, batteries, modern stuff in general. Of course I didn't mean stuff that would be foolish to leave behind like a phone or first aid stuff.
And stuff I can conceal in or behind period cover. So I make stuff that does not look like I bought it at Cabelas. Hatchet and knife sheaths, round ball bags, etc. Today I made a simple case for my Leather man multitool. On .y belt it looks period but is oh so useful during an outing. Looky. It fits tight but can easily be retrieved by pulling the lanyard. Fake rabbit fur clouds over a handmade sheath.

Attachments

• 20220827_015342.jpg
    20220827_015342.jpg
    758 KB · Views: 3
I make my own gear for two reasons, A. Because I enjoy making stuff. And B. Because I enjoy making stuff cheaper than I could buy it. Example, powder horns. Powder horns, especially those made by craftsmen at rendezvous type sales outlets, cost a fortune. Sure, they look great, have that mountain man patina, etc. For what they cost though, they can keep them. So far I've made two horns. I bought the plain polished horns at a show because I couldn't get them anywhere else. I paid about $12 a piece for them. Idve probably paid $160 for one made by Joe Blow the horn maker. Mine don't get aged. They will age over time as they should. I'll never pay for something I can make myself.

Now, I don't give a mouses arse whether something is modern or not. If it works for me, I'll use it. Plastic, carbon fiber nylon, whatever. Doesn't bother me. I'm still enjoying myself. Besides this is 2022, not 1822. If the pioneers had plastic then, I'm sure they'd be using it.

hanshi you are correct. They'd be using plastic and scoped .338M. So you got no argument there. I reckon we all get something a little different out of it, nothing wrong with that. Heck, I've even heard tell there are some yankee fellers that use stainless scoped in-lines just to get in the ML season who don't give two hoots about the old ways. I say to each his own.

Each of us who plays this game has our own "rules" to play by. I started making all of my items , (including my rifle) just because I could make it for less cost money wise than I could buy it. I get a lot of satisfaction out of what I make. The only things I buy are powder, flints, and caps. I tried making my own powder years ago and it was not good enough for shooting, o k for fire crackers but not for shooting. I long ago discovered that I am knapping impaired, and too much of a klutz to try making my own caps and getting the primer into those little caps. Other than that I make my own items.

I make my own gear for two reasons, A. Because I enjoy making stuff. And B. Because I enjoy making stuff cheaper than I could buy it. Example, powder horns. Powder horns, especially those made by craftsmen at rendezvous type sales outlets, cost a fortune. Sure, they look great, have that mountain man patina, etc. For what they cost though, they can keep them. So far I've made two horns. I bought the plain polished horns at a show because I couldn't get them anywhere else. I paid about $12 a piece for them. Idve probably paid $160 for one made by Joe Blow the horn maker. Mine don't get aged. They will age over time as they should. I'll never pay for something I can make myself.

Now, I don't give a mouses arse whether something is modern or not. If it works for me, I'll use it. Plastic, carbon fiber nylon, whatever. Doesn't bother me. I'm still enjoying myself. Besides this is 2022, not 1822. If the pioneers had plastic then, I'm sure they'd be using it.
Haha you sound just like me and my friend 😆

hanshi you are correct. They'd be using plastic and scoped .338M. So you got no argument there. . Heck, I've even heard tell there are some Yankee fellers that use stainless scoped in-lines just to get in the ML season who don't give two hoots about the old ways. I say to each his own.

:thumb::ghostly:;)

OH lORD! Please tell me it isn't true! Ever since I've moved to Yankee land I see they do think differently. But this is sacrilege!
:doh:

I have always enjoyed the challenge of making my own stuff. It doesn't have to look like it came from a master craftsman for me to enjoy it, as long as it is functional, life is good. I decided to make a few items today for the flintlock rifle I'm hoping will be delivered tomorrow I won at a gun auction a few days ago. Here is my homemade pan brush, flint knapping tool, and flash hole pick.

Attachments

• flintlock tools 3.jpg
    flintlock tools 3.jpg
    111.7 KB · Views: 0
Making your own stuff is only cheaper if you don't value your own time very much. I love to make my own stuff, but there is a reason I make I for me and not to try and sell as a side gig.

Thanks for the compliments,Guys👍

Most of the stuff I make either goes as a blanket prize ( if I feel it’s worthy ) or I use it myself …
But if someone comes along and just can’t live without something, We’ll try too strike a deal…😬

Like DT said , it’s only cheaper if you don’t value your time..

So far “almost” everything I’ve made has functioned as expected..👍

Even this quiver…..

CC87157A-8058-4945-9435-E00E083450B0.jpeg

749D7B9D-9017-4084-BCE9-79DA60426532.jpeg

Kinda reminds me of this Guy…

B2DB830B-EC38-45B1-AD02-FC3928DEB5D5.jpeg

The kids love it! 🤣

Public Service Announcement:

No raccoon’s were harmed during the making of this quiver….👍
He was already dead when I got him….
🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

You're level of skill is nevertheless unreachable for me, Smo. I tinker a lot and make as much of my stuff as I can. But I don't trek or rendezvous these days. So what I throw together is very crude, but it works as intended. On the bright side it doesn't get stolen (who in their right mind would want it) and it's mostly easy to replicate if it breaks.

Latest posts

Back