• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Making soup stock

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tb54

Pilgrim
Reaction score
Boiling up some soup bones like mom used to, but I forgot how to preserve the stock. We just butcherd a deer and threw the bones in a pot. I guess I kinda jumped the gun, shoulda figured out what I was going to do first. Thought I knew.

Any reason not to throw any of the bloodshot meat in the pot too? Not that I have any with this one, but as I’ve said before, I tend to shoot deer in the neck, and I think that’s gonna be my main soup bone in the future. A lot easier than trying to whittle all the meat off it.

If you can roast the bones for about an hour at 325F and then pressure cook the bones for 40 minutes you will get the richest possible broth, something not possible by mere boiling in an open pot. Best wishes. Dave

If you can roast the bones for about an hour at 325F and then pressure cook the bones for 40 minutes you will get the richest possible broth, something not possible by mere boiling in an open pot.
DO THIS.jpg

In fact the original name for a pressure cooker, in the 1600's, was a "bone digester".

Lay the bags down in cookie sheets until they're frozen. They'll store easier after that.

Laying the stuff flat in the freezer so you end up with several thin bags of frozen broth, that stack easier, is also an excellent "trick" or as the kids say these days a great "cooking hack".

LD

Around here when we butcher hogs, the tiny scraps, and bones are thrown in a huge pot to boil for a few hours. The bones are fished out and the meat scraps ground into a puree. The puree is added back to the broth and then brought to a boil again. We add, a bit of salt, a little black pepper, 75% corn meal and 25% flour and simmer until the whole thing starts to thicken. Pour into loaf pans and chill. When cold, dump out the jelled loaf and slice thinly and fry in a medium heat skillet. When it is crispy on one side, flip it over until crispy on the other. Serve hot with apple butter for breakfast.

Latest posts

Back