• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

making some Muleys

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Metalshaper

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Couple of locks I'm get'n near to finishing.

and NO, the allen head screw on the lock with the outside mainspring will 'not' be on the finished product :wink: just was handy when I needed to test fit things and I haven't made the new one..
both locks were just quickly wire brushed to knock some shop goo off of them.

OS%20Muley3_zps2rybiuta.jpg

Outside mainspring design I've been playing with and changing here and there. Based on a large Siler Flintlock that had it's tail bobbed some.

[
Medberry_zpsys9pzmpl.jpg

Medberry style, hammer cut/shaped from one piece..

Respect Always
Metalshaper/Jonathan

Metalshaper/Dag

how about a picture of the other side?

Once you get done with these nice looking locks what is their future?

snapper

Snapper,

Here you go. they still need some clean up,finish filing/polishing with some heat treatment. fresh/correct screws :wink: but they are mostly done.

as far as what they will go in? I have a longrifle stock/barrel that I'm thinking the lock I designed would go in nicely?? a late style percussion 'poorboy' of sorts.. The Medberry style would fit nicely in a long barreled, smaller bore halfstock I'm thinking.. any thoughts??

Medberry has a traditional sear, my design uses a bell-crank mod and can use a 'normal' vertical trigger.

Respect Always
metalshaper/Jonathan

Jonathan, very nice work, I see you deserve your screen name. I had the chance to handle a 10 ga mule ear last week a friend of mine built, he shoots trap. Im not sure where he got the lock, he's had the gun a while.
I almost found out too late there is no half cock on his mule ear, I'm glad he was watching me or I'd have broke something. I'm on a flint lock binge now, but definitely want a mulie one day.

Again, very nice work, I'm envious.

Eterry

Those are just so cool. Nice work. With the nipple (presumably) screwing directly in to the barrel I bet your ignition time is lickety split fast too.

I suppose you need to be pretty picky about barrel wall thickness, so only certain calibers will work in a given barrel type that leave you enough "meat" for the nipple threads to grab.

Eterry and the Col.B

Thanks guys! appreciate the positive comments :grin:

Col.B, barrel selection is not as big a problem as you might think. like my underhammers, I tend to make a chambered breech.. counter-boring the breech plug and setting the cone in so it flashes right at the back of the charge! depending on the wall thickness, I usually end up with a small seat cut into the wall of the plug. just gotta remember to take out the nipple if the plug needs to be taken out!

And yes, they are pretty fast!

Respect Always
Metalshaper/Jonathan

It looks very nice. I have a half stock Ohio gun that I built a couple years ago that has a side slapper lock on it.It is a copy of an a Ohio gun. I has an external spring. I also rifled the barrel. It is a 40 caliber barrel. Also working on a 40 caliber bullet gun with a back action side slapper lock.
Don't know how much I will get done as I am 81 my health is the best'

Olie

Latest posts

Back