• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Making Pre-Cut Patches?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Patches are so inexpensive, I've found it hard to justify the time and effort to "make my own"...
I don't know what patches are selling for now but a number of years ago as I recall, they were selling for about $2 per hundred. That makes them about 2 cents apiece.

I bought a yard of blue/white striped pillow ticking for about $6.
That yard of pillow ticking was 36" long by over 48" wide. That's 36 X 48 = 1728 square inches.
Since my patches are about 1 1/4" square. Dividing 1728 by 1.25 I get 1382 so even with some waste, I'm getting over 1300 patches out of that yard of material.

$6 divided by 1300 = .005 or, 1/2 cent each. At that rate, instead of 100 patches costing $2, 100 patches now cost me 50 cents.
Yes, the difference isn't much but these little things add up. :)

I don't know what patches are selling for now but a number of years ago as I recall, they were selling for about $2 per hundred.

2 bucks ?o_O
I can buy 2-6 beers for that, more than enough to enjoy sitting down and cutting my own patches.
Cleaning patches are where the real economic savings begin. Every dollar I save buys more powder and guns, which means more shooting and fun.. :)

2 bucks ?o_O
I can buy 2-6 beers for that, more than enough to enjoy sitting down and cutting my own patches.
Cleaning patches are where the real economic savings begin. Every dollar I save buys more powder and guns, which means more shooting and fun.. :)
2-6 beers for 2 bucks?!! Do you have a time machine or something Carbon 6? I'm not sure I'd want to drink what you drink!

I guess I'm not as frugal as you, Zonie. 1000 patches for about $25 for Bridgers best. That's 0.025 cents apiece. Oh, ya, that's right, you aren't saving much money, and spending a lot more time that could be enjoyed shooting! LOL!

2-6 beers for 2 bucks?!! Do you have a time machine or something Carbon 6? I'm not sure I'd want to drink what you drink!

I'ts the same principle as spending $2 on patches when you can get them for 50 cents. You must economize or remove the retail component.

I'ts the same principle as spending $2 on patches when you can get them for 50 cents. You must economize or remove the retail component.
Oh, I get it, lol. I just have more things to do right now other than save $1.50. I certainly don't begrudge those who chose to do so. $1.50 isn't much to me right now. That's the only benefit, whether round or square cut...

I cut my own patches for the same reason that I build my own guns.;)
Right on Pete.
I daresay, that anyone on this site that buys a muzzleloader to play with, because there's much better guns if you wish to purely kill deer, is not there because they are flat broke or too cheap. The bought en patches are handy, I think they're very well made and uniform.I cut square patches, and I made a cutter years ago to make round, not for the savings, and I'm sure they are very limited, but for the fun of dealing with one of these cantankerous type guns. If time meant too much to me, a modern rifle that doesn't have to be cleaned daily, would be the way to go. I have several. I'm too old to have to prove to anybody why I play with muzzleloaders or the accessories.
Squint

only thing i read was basically the dutch method way of lubing patches. No mention of square or round or smaller or larger diameter patches. In truth, none of that really matters. I've done 2" squares for my 50 and it shot just as well as "normal" size round patches. Pre-cut VS cut at the muzzle also showed no difference.

Those that don’t run their own ball, build their own guns, mill their own powder, mine their own lead, etc. do not know what muzzleloading is about. Also you have to shoot a flintlock otherwise you aren’t having fun.

I’ve heard all that. Truth is it is fun to do those things and making little crafts and things is a part of the hobby and fun, but it isn’t strictly necessary to enjoying the “musket loading guns” as some call them.

For reference Bass Pro is selling lubed patches for $10 per 100 pack (50/54cal) as of last week.
I cut strips from fabric I buy in yards as others here do(ticking, linen, muslin etc).

Oh, I get it, lol. I just have more things to do right now other than save $1.50. I certainly don't begrudge those who chose to do so. $1.50 isn't much to me right now. That's the only benefit, whether round or square cut...

There are two ways to buy a gun. You can earn money by working to pay for it or you can save hard earned money to pay for it.
I bought most of mine by saving money.

There are two ways to buy a gun. You can earn money by working to pay for it or you can save hard earned money to pay for it.
I bought most of mine by saving money.
You must shoot A LOT, LOL! It would take me forever to save up to buy a gun @ $1.50 every month or so. :ghostly:

You must shoot A LOT, LOL! It would take me forever to save up to buy a gun @ $1.50 every month or so. :ghostly:

Shooting patches are not the only place to save money. You can save money on all your shooting and cleaning supplies.

Calculate your per shot cost.

Thanks for the suggestion Carbon 6, but I'm good. I don't shoot to save cost, although I do where practical for me. Cutting patches isn't one of those places for me. I don't set out to calculate my per shot cost. I shoot muzzleloaders because I enjoy it ;). I simply have no personal need to save a few pennies on patches, with no other benefit from doing so. I do, however, cast my own balls :thumb:.

I go to the fabric store with a micrometer and get tightly woven cotton that is .10 in thickness. Blackpowder Maniac on YouTube has a good video on making pre-cut patches.

I make my own lube with beeswax and olive oil, cast balls from diving weights, wet form and wax embed shooting bags, make waxed canvas, etc. it is cheaper, but also it is interesting to make your own BP gear.

Back