• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Making Pre-Cut Patches?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I started using pillow case cloth i cut into SQUARES and spit lube... simply put about a dozen patches where you'd put a 'chaw of backy' and use accordingly. A few years later i bought a pack of pre lubed patches... what a waste... they were old, stiff, and fell apart while loading.
Went back to cutting squares of cloth while bored, watching tv,etc.
I've never placed at Friendship, but almost always hit what im aiming at.

Pre cut patches, like a lot of shooting supplies, have really gone up in price over the past year or so. I do enjoy saving money, but i also like casting my own balls, building my own guns, processing my own game, making my own sausage, smoking meat in the smoker i built and cooking my own meals.
I think it's that independent spirit that sets us apart from others.

Shooting patches are not the only place to save money. You can save money on all your shooting and cleaning supplies.

Calculate your per shot cost.

My old boss, a millionaire who owned a heavy equipment construction company he built from the ground up used to say, "watch out for the pennies and the dollars will take care of themselves. "
Maybe he was right.

I think you meant to say .010. .1 is almost 1/8 thick. Not being critical but if a "newby" misread this he would be pounding that ball/patch combo in. "NEVER ASSUME ANYTHING"

100 burning.jpg

I agree about money and muzzleloaders, but that it true of almost any hobby. One can do a lot of shooting and have a bunch of fun without spending a great deal of money with muzzleloaders. The problem comes when we find that just one more that we need. Then the accouterments that go along with it. Of course then if you want to do living history or rondevoos etc. the price goes up exponentially.

Muzzleloading can be expensive or it can be cheap, the choice is yours.

You can still find a used gun for $100.00 if you look hard enough.
You can make all your own accouterments.
You can cast your own balls make your own patches, and knap your own flints.
You can make your own lube for pennies or just use spit.
The only real expense is powder and caps.
There are a lot of places to save money, and that money adds up big time.

Save money in one area and you have more to spend in another.
Mountain Men, Longhunters, Frontiersmen, Pioneers, none of those people were rich.

The forum rules say we don't discuss making black powder.

As for "Tap a Cap", the thing that people are supposed to be able to use to make their own percussion caps, maybe back in the days when old fashioned paper caps were sold, it might have worked.
After mothers decided those caps made much to much noise and the paper cap makers made them less noisy, IMO, they don't work well at all for making your own caps.
Dixie Gun Works thinks those Tap a Cap things are worth $54.95 + postage. I suggest, folks should save their money for some real caps made by the big factories who know what their doing.

Last edited:
Well Guys, while reading all 112 Post I’ve managed to gnaw out 1654 patches with my teeth....

Oh! I saved the strings too, I’m gonna’ pull em’ thru bees wax and make HC/PC dental floss..

Now that’s what I call savings!

EAFJ

Early April Fools Joke .. lol

Muzzleloading can be expensive or it can be cheap, the choice is yours.

You can still find a used gun for $100.00 if you look hard enough.
You can make all your own accouterments.
You can cast your own balls make your own patches, and knap your own flints.
You can make your own lube for pennies or just use spit.
The only real expense is powder and caps.
There are a lot of places to save money, and that money adds up big time.

Save money in one area and you have more to spend in another.
Mountain Men, Longhunters, Frontiersmen, Pioneers, none of those people were rich.
I found a new, unfired TC Hawken on the wall of a gun shop a couple years ago. I noticed that the Ramrod end was broken off so he knocked off $25 on a gun he had priced at $110. I couldn't get my wallet out fast enough.
Balls are cheap to cast with a lee mold @ $19.00 (even better if you can recover the lead)
Cloth for patches can be had for 3-4 $ a yard (and if you have the ball/patch combo correct, you CAN reuse them.....did I mention that I am chee..frugal?)
Buy caps in bulk (I have actually had good luck firing those caps for toy guns but had to modify a dedicated nipple)
Lube is cheeeeep as I use olive oil and it actually tastes ok (compared to Balist🤮l)
I bought a lot of powder in bulk fro Powder valley.
When things get tight, I will be making smoke till I expire

The forum rules say we don't discuss making black powder.

As for "Tap a Cap", the thing that people are supposed to be able to use to make their own percussion caps, maybe back in the days when old fashioned paper caps were sold, it might have worked.
After mothers decided those caps made much to much noise and the paper cap makers made them less noisy, IMO, they don't work well at all for making your own caps.
Dixie Gun Works thinks those Tap a Cap things are worth $54.95 + postage. I suggest, folks should save their money for some real caps made by the big factories who know what their doing.
Find the red plastic caps in a strip or even in the rounds, for revolvers. Buy a spare nipple and adjust it till you get the geometry that works. I will warn you though that at least TC locks have enough slap to pierce them occasionally.

Back