• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

making patches

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
round or square, the ball doesn't care! if the patches tear on the edges then you get daisy patches! any body remember or use them?

There is no difference between round patch or square, may be for target shooting and I'm not absolutely certain that the rounds patches are working better only if, by accident, a corner of the square is pushed between the bullet and the ramrod.
Ok, the best can be (perhaps) the patches cut on the muzzle of the barrel wit a short conical entry (after making a cone with the good tool for example): they'll be automatically cut à the right size and perfectly centered...
Sometime the round patches aren't perfectly centered and it's too bad for the accuracy, more than the square and cut on top...
Personally I prefer the square patches for shooting target for the simplicity of use...
Good size, good thikness, good lubrication and all is fine... ;)

Kind regards.

With a patch precut round you always have the risk that this one is off-centered, so the risk that the bullet loses its accuracy, inversely with a patch cut at the muzzle this decentering problem disappears inevitably since the patch is cut to the right size and with the ball right in the center....
Personnely I found far better the cutting at the muzzle than the patches precut, the final detail is in at a match or competition: the time to cut the patch is longer than put a round patch precut.
This is sometime a choice and more in case of shooting a flintlock than shooting a percussion cap rifle. For us a match is during thirty minutes for thirteen bullets and the first shot is to prepare the rifle (we call this shot "Flambage"), that makes fourteen bullets and if a flint needs a change during those thirteen minutes could be too short when cutting the patches...

Last edited:
Back