making patches

Discussion in 'Shooting Accessories' started by olskool, Oct 8, 2019.

Help Support Muzzle Loading Forum by donating:

1. Oct 8, 2019 #1

olskool

olskool

olskool

32 Cal.

I am fairly new here, but I am not a new shooter. I am 62 an have been hunting the woods of SC from the time I could walk. my daddy always had me in the woods. I started shooting BP in the early 70s when I traded something? to a friend for a cap and ball revolver a pound of powder and a double handful of 36 cal. balls. when the balls ran out I started cutting open daddy's 00 buckshot shells and using that. I got out of BP until the late 80s when my wife bought me a CVA Hawkin cap lock rifle kit. I put that off for a wile and now am back wide open with flintlocks. anyway the folks here have been helpful and kind. I thought I would share something I thought of the other day. ya'll might already be doing something like this I don't know, I know it works good for me. I went to the hardware store and took a 45 cal. patch with me. I found a hole saw about the same size, I cut the teeth off with a bench grinder then tapered the edge with a sanding belt and then sharpened it with a file. hit it with hammer a few whacks and it cuts perfect size .40 cal. patches from ticking like a charm! I hope this is a help if you care to try it, it sure beats slicing at the muzzle,,,,,,,,,,[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. Oct 8, 2019 #2

ppg1949

ppg1949

ppg1949

40 cal - b MLF Supporter

Olskool, great idea. I wished I had thought of this before buying a punch for my 62 caliber.

olskool likes this.
  3. Oct 8, 2019 #3

rafterob

rafterob

rafterob

62 Cal.

Yes that method is well known. And if you want to step it up, you chuck that in a drill press. Make a Press out of two squares of thin wood with a matching hole bored through them. You can stack up a lot of layers and then drill right through them.

4. Oct 8, 2019 #4

olskool

olskool

olskool

32 Cal.

well there is nothing new under the sun, It just came to me the other day I have never saw it done before but I figured it had been. I will have to try it in a drill press,,,,,,,,,,

5. Oct 8, 2019 #5

Carbon 6

Carbon 6

Carbon 6

62 Cal.

I use a similar one, but instead of hitting it with a hammer I spin it in a drill press. I can cut patches as fast as I can run the press up and down.

Rodney Johnson and olskool like this.
  6. Oct 8, 2019 #6

Grimord

Grimord

Grimord

Fyrstyk MLF Supporter

I have been doing this for years. I have a set of hole saws that i modified to cut patches from 3/4" for my .32 up to 1.5" for the .58 with several in between. It's the slickest way I know to make your own "pre-cut" patches. I have used some of the larger hole saws to make cleaning patches from old flannel sheets.

Nyckname and olskool like this.
  7. Oct 8, 2019 #7

Carbon 6

Carbon 6

Carbon 6

62 Cal.

Curious, do you spin or pound ?

8. Oct 9, 2019 #8

EC121

EC121

EC121

40 Cal.

I tried the punch method but it was too much waste. I just a cut strip then cut the patches square with a rolling cutter and mat. If I am really bored that day, I trim the corners to make an octagon patch.

9. Oct 9, 2019 #9

Grimord

Grimord

Grimord

Fyrstyk MLF Supporter

I chuck the modified hole saw in my drill press on slow speed. I usually cut 6-8 layers at a time. Yes, ther is some waste between the cuts, but the number of patches produced by this method, and the time it takes to make them, more than makes up for the small waste.

10. Oct 9, 2019 #10

Loyalist Dave

Loyalist Dave

Loyalist Dave

Cannon MLF Supporter

DANIEL BOONE.jpg

LD

olskool and Nyckname like this.
  11. Oct 9, 2019 #11

Ben Meyer

Ben Meyer

Ben Meyer

32 Cal

Serious question....does it matter if the patch is round or square? I just made a bunch of square cut patches, did the "soak them in a 6:1 Ballistol and water solution and let them dry." Did this twice, got a round prelubed patch and cut my strips into squares of the same size.

Of course, the precut, commercially prelubed patches one can buy are round. Is there a legit reason for this? If one cuts pillow ticking at the muzzle with a patch knife, the patches are kinda round, kinda square. I can trim my squares into circles with scissors, but, does it REALLY matter? Again, serious question, I dont know the answer.

12. Oct 9, 2019 #12

Grimord

Grimord

Grimord

Fyrstyk MLF Supporter

Round or square, makes no difference.

13. Oct 10, 2019 #13

AlanG

AlanG

AlanG

32 Cal.

Square patches work fine for shooting, but they can catch on the short starter sometimes depending on gun caliber and ramrod diameters. No biggie- but it can be annoying.

The punch and especially the drill press method work great. But it is also quite easy to just cut them with a pair of scissors too. You can fold strips to make a square, pinch between thumb and forefinger and easily cut out 6 or 8 at once. A precut patch, or a .50 cent piece or quarter or dollar etc pinched under the thumb work as a cutting pattern . It doesn't take long to make a hundred or so, and you can change diameters instantly. Boring but simple.

14. Oct 10, 2019 #14

Carbon 6

Carbon 6

Carbon 6

62 Cal.

I think round patches are easier to orient/center. I think they are also easier to lube.

15. Oct 10, 2019 #15

Heelerau

Heelerau

Heelerau

45 Cal.

Round or square, does not matter. I prefer to cut at the muzzle, but do have some punched and preloaded into a wooden block for a quick follow up shot. It is what you find best suits yourself. I use the 6 to 1 water ballistol in my .72 bore rifle, but load it with a greased felt wad over powder.

16. Oct 10, 2019 #16

Heelerau

Heelerau

Heelerau

45 Cal.

Great idea by the way of modifying a hole saw into a punch.

17. Oct 11, 2019 #17

Loyalist Dave

Loyalist Dave

Loyalist Dave

Cannon MLF Supporter

It Matters IF you're Scottish!

LD

Nyckname likes this.
  18. Oct 11, 2019 #18

Loyalist Dave

Loyalist Dave

Loyalist Dave

Cannon MLF Supporter

You don't "waste" extra fabric with square patches as you do with punching out round patches. Waste not; Want not

Alba gu brĂ th ! :thumb:

LD

Nyckname likes this.
  19. Oct 11, 2019 #19

Pete G

Pete G

Pete G

50 Cal.

A Scot would not use a $16 tool to make $2 worth of patches.:(

20. Oct 11, 2019 #20

Grenadier1758

Grenadier1758

Grenadier1758

58 Cal.

But a Scot would use a $200 Dirk or scan dbu and cut at the muzzle. The scrap would be charred for starting fires.

30coupe and Pete G like this.