• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Making friends at the range

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have always wanted to learn how to use and hunt with a recurve bow. Being a Sagittarius, it is like the gods intended it for me.

Every time I go to the range with a flintlock I get asked about BP. Last weekend, I was shooting my SMR and had a number of people ask about the rifle. The most common question was, "Why shoot a flintlock?" My answer was simple, "It's a different skill set." I like fielding questions about BP because perhaps someone I've talked to will be intrigued enough to explore BP. I think I spent as much time answering questions as I did sending lead down range (the bruise on my shoulder suggests otherwise). I also made friends with a guy shooting a cap and ball revolver, which prompted me to dust of the 1851.

Who else has had this experience lately?
talked with a guy last week at the range. young guy with a lot of questions. he had a chrno and i had him shoot my underhammer thru it. he loved the gun and is now interested in BP. 30GR 3f gave 1500 fps, PRB, 38"brl. we had a great conversation

Usually when I'm at the range, I'm shooting Civil War era guns of some type. Folks are generally interested and I'll offer to give them some trigger time and they find the guns are far more accurate than they imagined, kick less, and are great fun. Hopefully some will be bitten by the black powder bug and join the fun in earnest.

Back