• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Making Do......

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Ran out of #11 caps, and couldn't find any for sale.

Realized I had several hundred #10 caps left from revolver project. They won't go on a #11 nipple, but fit just fine on a #11 filed down to accept the #10 size. Chucked a new #11 nipple in the drill press, then removed metal a little at a time until #10 caps slipped on with a firm thumb pressure. Hope I don't run out of #10.........

I'm building a .40 caliber rifle that will use both a cap and a flintlock. I had about 60 caps left from my hunting days years ago. A buddy of mine came through with 400 Remington #11 to get me started when the rifle is finished.

Knowing I am sidelock B/P guy people give me stuff they have or inherit that they can't use, I have a lot of CCI caps all the way back to the 70s.

I eat at a Chinese place that is next to the local Academy Sports and Outdoors. I make a occasional pass through Academy after lunch and always check out their B/P stuff, every so often they will have a few tins of #11 CCIs on display for around $6 a hundred, I can't resist and buy a tin promising myself I won't buy any more because I have a lifetime supply already. The next time I see them on the shelf I know I will buy a tin ( I don't get greedy and leave the rest for others), once an equipment pack rat always and equipment pack rat.

When it looked like B/P was going to be scarce I bought lifetime supply of Goex as well, better safe than sorry.

before i was sick in September with covid, i had 10 tins of Winchester #11's. after i got home, i can't find them. never listen to that small voice in the back of your head (the wife) that keeps telling you "you need to clean up this mess".
still cant find them so have to make some more. i try to alternate between my rock locks and my cap locks so I won't get tempted to sell one or the other of them.

I don't have near a lifetime supply of #11, #10 and musket caps but I seem to have enough for a while since I don't shoot cap that much. I can't even remember the last time I took one of my caplocks to the range. Before I quit hunting I both hunted - exclusively - and shot at the range with a flintlock. It's was just more fun to drop deer & other critters with a flint. But from the 1960s to about 18 years ago I certainly did a lot of damage in the woods; in fact I would alternate cap/flint during the season. Eventually just left the capguns at home.

I accidentally ordered a thousand #10 caps a few years back. I plan to do exactly what you did whenever I need them.

Back