• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Making Circassian or Caucasian flintlock - miquelet

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Andrey

My hat's off to you sir. You are an amazing talent. As we occasionally say here: It's a dead-ringer of an original lock. LOL Wonderful workmanship. I'm sure your customer will be very happy.
You mentioned that your customer plans on making a pistol using the lock and trigger. Hopefully one day he will allow you to take photos of the finished gun.
TRIGGER: That trigger looks exactly correct. Every rifle/pistol I've inspected has the same shape of ball trigger. Interesting that even though these guns were individually hand made, certain stylistic features remain a constant. I can only recall one/two guns with trigger guards. Apparently they felt the guard to be unnecessary, and just added weight.
Again, the idea you came up with for a mainspring vise is very clever. I hope my idea for a miquelet vise will work out. I'll keep you advised.
Circassian Rifle: Unfortunately, I don't have any good photos of a rifle. Other than what you already see in reference books. The locks on the rifles I've seen look exactly like the pistols but larger rifle size. The stock shape looks identical to the Caucasian variation (Persian origin) in my photo above, although a bit less decorated.
One other interesting feature with both Caucasian/Circassian rifles/pistols: It took me a few years to notice that all the gun hardware is either Iron, silver, or walrus ivory/bone. Usually in combination. I've never seen one with brass mounts. Unless it being used as a small decoration.

I'll be attending the Baltimore Antique Arms show next month. This is typically the largest show of it's kind in the USA each year. I'll see if I can locate a Circassian variation rifle and take some good photos.

Again, a masterful job with that lock and trigger. Rick

That was way cool. I've often wondered what a good machinist could turn out for a flintlock. I hope we get to see the whole weapon through to completion. I'd like to see what a machinist could make purely from the begining with no more guidelines than "flintlock" and then let that builder make something nobody has ever seen before.
Really awesome stuff to watch.

Unfortunately, I will only make the lock.
A little later I will show a video on the assembly and operation of the flintlock - miquelet.

Hi Andrey

Outstanding work. And a perfect looking replica. You have a real talent. Thanks for your very interesting posts.
Again, that mainspring vise is very clever. I assume it will only work with this particular lock plate ?

If two locks are made according to the same drawings, then the vice will work with any of the locks. If the locks are different in size, then the vice will not fit the second flintlock.

Yes, I forgot to say that the drawings with which I worked turned out to be quite suitable for making a copy of an ancient castle. I found only one mistake in them.
The drawings do not show the recess for the combat ledge of the sear.
CircassianMiqueletLock-28.jpg

CircassianMiqueletLock-29.jpg

Andrey, wonderful work! I noticed you said you were looking for pictures of old caucasian rifles. I've attached some photos of Georgian men during the Russo-Turkish War 1877-78 who are still using these miquelets while the others have Karle, Berdan, and Krnka.

Attachments

• Один из сдавшихся кобулетцов в походном лагере грузинской дружины.jpg
    Один из сдавшихся кобулетцов в походном лагере грузинской дружины.jpg
    142.8 KB · Views: 78
  • Группа гурийцев-проводников в походном лагере..jpg
    Группа гурийцев-проводников в походном лагере..jpg
    214.9 KB · Views: 76
Ossetian, Armenian, Circassian

Attachments

• Ramonov_vano_ossetin_northern_caucasia_dress_18_century.jpg
    Ramonov_vano_ossetin_northern_caucasia_dress_18_century.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 69