• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Making Circassian or Caucasian flintlock - miquelet

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Andrey22

Pilgrim
Reaction score
After making a Turkish flintlock miquelet,
https://www.muzzleloadingforum.com/...elet-repair-turned-into-a-new-project.118517/
I wanted to make a Caucasian flintlock miquelet of the Circassian type.
Such locks were installed on pistols and shotguns by Caucasian highlanders
CircassianMiqueletLock-1.jpg

I found a description and diagram of such a castle in a book "Oruzhie narodov Kafkaza" (Arms of the Peoples of the Caucasus) E. G. Astvatsaturian.
CircassianMiqueletLock-2.jpg

Having received the blueprints, I set about making the castle. Started with a pan.
Hurried, made a mistake and I had to do pan again for flintlock.
CircassianMiqueletLock-7.jpg

I cut blanks for the mainspring and frizzen spring from spring steel.
Forged flattened the round billet and cut the outline of the hammer for flintlock.
CircassianMiqueletLock-8.jpg

Curious... why is there a hole in the frizzen ? Or am I looking at this wrong ? Was it needed to anchor the part while working on it ? :cool:

The battery face is often a striated separate piece that is held by dovetails or a screw from the rear hence the hole. I think this whole theme is great, Admirable work . Sure there not long rifles or CVA,s but what I deem stylish & very interesting . Rudyard

Thanks.
Right. I will manufacture a separate part for the Frizzen, which can be replaced if necessary.
This is a feature of the design of flintlock - miquelet.

I was thinking about how the face of the frizzen would be attached. It seemed like a way to do it. But then I thought with such a piece, you might need a hold down of some sort. Then have that hole handy to attach the frizzen face.
Thank you for straightening me out... I may not be the sharpest candle in the knife... but I do catch on. :cool: :doh:

Back