• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Le Loup

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Making-Camp-full-REDUCED.jpg

Be careful looking at that vid. Clicking on the vid, block ad thing or whatever will lead you down a rabbit hole of never ending pop-ups:mad:
Yes, I have been there on other videos. If you just click on the X you are fine, but I find some of these ads cancellation instructions confusing.
Keith.

Keith, I had no idea anyone re-enacted colonial New England in Australia. Your forest -- is it mostly gum or eucalyptus?
Most groups in Australia are America frontier oriented, much more interesting, more fun, more choices of personas.
My forest is mostly Stringybark with some Yellow Box & Mountain Gum. There is a She Oak wood over in Fox Valley & Acacias in Butterfly Valley where our houses are.
Keith.

I love primitive camping. Did a lot of it when CW reenacting. For my first 2 years in the hobby I did the Campaign-style thing, rain or shine. My friend's daughter was just talking about going camping and described the accommodations. Cabins with AC, internet, WiFi..... That's NOT camping.

Most groups in Australia are America frontier oriented, much more interesting, more fun, more choices of personas.
My forest is mostly Stringybark with some Yellow Box & Mountain Gum. There is a She Oak wood over in Fox Valley & Acacias in Butterfly Valley where our houses are.
Keith.

I've always wondered that as well, plus it's my understanding most of your critters are able to inflict a good deal of hurting from boxing roo's to the funnel web arachnids.. Oh lordy keep those buggers over there!!! I had a wolf spider take up residence one evening in my blanket roll and I about soiled my breeches!

I flew into RAAF Edinburgh a few years ago, you gents sure do have some beautiful territory indeed. Thoroughly enjoyed my short time in country, would love to come back!

Last edited:
I've always wondered that as well, plus it's my understanding most of your critters are able to inflict a good deal of hurting from boxing roo's to the funnel web arachnids.. Oh lordy keep those buggers over there!!! I had a wolf spider take up residence one evening in my blanket roll and I about soiled my breeches!

I flew into RAAF Edinburgh a few years ago, you gents sure do have some beautiful territory indeed. Thoroughly enjoyed my short time in country, would love to come back!
Yes, summer is not a good time to go camping over here, I only trek in winter. The boxing Kangaroos thing doesn't apply to untrained wild roos though. Wild roos grab you with their front claws & tear your guts out with their rear claws. You can avoid this by throwing yourself on the ground, but they will jump all over you & rough you up pretty bad.
Regards, Keith.

does any hunt them and make ROO BURGERS? or are they protected?
Not sure what it is like in other states, but here in NSW professional shooters can shoot them if the land owner has a permit. If land owners want to hunt them they have to get tags & are only allowed to kill them but not eat them!!! Like many of our laws over here toot this does not make any sense!
Keith.

...are only allowed to kill them but not eat them!!!
That makes about as much sense as installing a light bulb with a hammer. These brainless policies created by ignorant people are infuriating. Why kill something if not to eat it...?

That makes about as much sense as installing a light bulb with a hammer. These brainless policies created by ignorant people are infuriating. Why kill something if not to eat it...?
I think "their" reasoning was that a farmer could shoot roos if there were too many of them & they were damaging the crops. At the same time they didn't want anyone shooting the roos & selling the meat for profit. Problem is these desk jockeys know absolutely nothing about the lives of people living in the bush, it would not cross their tiny ignorant minds that people still hunt to put meat on the table!
Keith.

I think "their" reasoning was that a farmer could shoot roos if there were too many of them & they were damaging the crops. At the same time they didn't want anyone shooting the roos & selling the meat for profit. Problem is these desk jockeys know absolutely nothing about the lives of people living in the bush, it would not cross their tiny ignorant minds that people still hunt to put meat on the table!
Keith.
We cannot sell wild game meat in Montana - we can give it away, up to and including, an entire animal (must include a note from the hunter and tag information attached). This policy does make (some) sense to me. Shoot it and let lie - stupid and wasteful.

When we were in the bush looking for roos we came across a king snake. My friend said that if we got bite by it that we most likely would be dead by the time we got back to town. Certainly made you think twice about busting around in the bush.

A couple of week later at World match near Adelaide AU the pits radioed that they had brown snake living in the pits. My understanding is that in addition to being venomous they are very aggressive. I am not afraid of snakes but I am not keen on getting bitten. I was glad that we did not have to do pit duty and pull targets.

Fleener

Back