• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

making bacon

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
sliced
upload_2018-11-3_20-34-13.jpeg

Last edited:
Black Hand, you were correct on the sugar. The cure is on the sweet side and could have a little more salt. The up side is it still tastes good.

Well how does it taste????!! How does the inside look? Cured?

Fleener

Sorry, the other post of yours did not pop in until after I sent mine. Not sure what happen.

So would you use pork shoulder again?

Fleener

To answer some questions. It has more of a ham taste than bacon, but is still very tasty. I fried some up this morning and ate it with some waffles.

It has a nice pink color to it and the meat looks like commercial ham or bacon.

This is my second go around with using pork shoulder to cure. My first attempt about a year ago didn't turn out as good as this did. Most of the pork shoulder had some nice fat mixed through it although some is pretty much all lean meat. I will definitely use pork shoulder again if I find it cheap. At the local super market pork belly is expensive relatively speaking compared to the price of shoulder when it is on sale. This batch cost 99 cents a pound.

The shoulders did have the bone in and I boned it out and split the shoulders to end up with two pieces about the same thickness. There was also some trim where the meat was real thin. We cooked this up and used for soup along with the bone to make stock. This way we had no waste.

Latest posts

Back