• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Making a Waterproof Trekking Tarp

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Razz

36 Cal.
Reaction score
I hope I posted this in the right place, if not PLease correct me and move it accordingly.

Merry Christmas All!

First Off let me say that I am by no means intimating that I’m an expert on this subject, nor do I have any experience, other than this first adventure, on the subject matter. I spent countless hours reading about every post I could find on this site, other info on the web and some books. Here is what I experienced while making my first waterproof trekking tarp.

I went to the local big box home improvement store and bought a 10 oz. canvas tarp, 9' x 12’. I looked at the 8oz tarps and they were really porous looking compared to the 10oz.ones. I also got a gallon of boiled linseed oil and a gallon of mineral spirits. I have access to iron oxide powder for coloring and have plenty of that on hand.

I washed the tarp in hot water and dried it on high to shrink the fabric and close up the pores. I measured out the biggest square I could obtain now that the material had shrunk and cut it to size. Always remember the old adage, measure twice and cut once. I ended up with 8’ x 8’. I left the cut edge un-hemmed, it may fray some, but that’s to my liking. I found the center of the tarp and stitched in a 4” square of the canvas for reinforcement. I used heavy waxed cotton thread. Why the addition? Keep reading.

I mixed the linseed oil and mineral spirits 50/50, made about a gallon of the stuff and added in 2 cups of iron oxide. Stir real well, let it settle and then stir some more. WEAR OLD CLOTHES!! This stuff gets on everything that comes within 2 feet of it. I laid the tarp out on an old picnic table with the top side up and painted on the mixture. Keep stirring to keep the iron oxide from settling to the bottom. Brush it in and cover the entire surface. Make sure to cover the seams real good. Did I mention it gets on everything. Once the top was coated I flipped it over and coated the bottom side took it outside and hung it up between 2 poles to cure. I’ve read bout hanging it up first and then brushing in the mixture, but to me it seemed easier with a hard surface under the canvas.

While it was hanging I used one of those brushes for smoothing out wallpaper to help even out the coloring from the iron oxide. I just swept it across the surface of the tarp. Did I tell you that this stuff gets on everything?

I left it hanging in the yard for 2 days to cure. It still has a slight oily feel and little more pigment came off on my hands, since the weather report is calling for rain I moved it to our shed and plan on leaving it hang for a few weeks. There is good air circulation and its dry inside. The color came out great, kind of a mottled reddish black mixture.

When it has fully cured I plan on using some of the remaining canvas to make loops for the 4 corners and the center. I’ll treat the loops with the same mixture to protect and color them. I thought about sewing on rope loops, but the more I think about it, the more I’m inclined to use the treated canvas. I may need to watch the stitching where I sew in the top center loop and if there are any open pores, I’ll add in some hot wax to help seal them up.

I’ve been contemplating making my own tarp for a few months and finally decided to just do it. It was fun and to my estimation, well worth the time. The real test will be this spring when I get to use it! If you have been contemplating doing this I say go for it and remember to wear old clothes because it gets on everything.

Say, Buffler,
Did you have any trouble with that stuff getting on everything? :rotf:
Moose

Thanks for the timely post Buffler.Just got my 10 yr. old a 10 oz. tarp for Christmas. Was planning on waterproofing it this week with Thompson's. I knew this wasn't really the way I wanted to do it.I was just now in the process of looking into other ways and thought I'd drop by here to browse.Bingo! Think I might try wood ash instead of iron oxide.Anybody else ever try that? Don't have access to iron oxide.Thanks again for your post.

Aaa-Haa, the bi-monthly making a trail tarp thread! And so soon after Christmas this time.

I do not use iron oxide, it gets all over everything! :rotf:

Does anyone else encounter that problem?

Since it's rusted iron, you could chip it off a farm junkpile and grind it...
Seriously, it should be available at a good piant store. (well it used to be.)

I'll have to snap a pic of a painted utility tarp we have up at the Lodge. It's at least 60 years oild if it's a day. It's painted on one side and the weave looks pretty darn'ed tight, almost makes me want to go paint an Egypian cotton bed sheet. . . almost :youcrazy:

I can’t figure why anyone would want to waterproof their tarp”¦ it just makes it soooo much heavier. (Well unless they live where it rains buckets all at once”¦) I just pre-shrink the canvas and leave it at that.

I DO waterproof my ground cloth tho”¦ The tarp “slows down” the rain, and my ground cloth stops it”¦.

The big nasty orange store has/had concrete colorent (?) that looks like iron oxide, it is a reddish brown powder. I used it on tarps when I was making them. I got tired of making new ones every year and broke down and bought the commercial oil cloth available and have'nt regretted it a moment.

Hello
The re-enactors from the rev. war use a period correct canvas that is painted. You paint both side and it works great. We cheat a bit and use latex because it bends better... I use mine as a ground sheet in my wedge tent, and as a carry tarp when running light...
My best regards Loyalistdawg :hatsoff:

Tried painting convas with no luck. Would like to know what and how you did yours. I used latex 50/50 and sprayed mine. It leaked! What went wrong? :confused: :confused:

Here is a very good treatment for a canvas to be made into a knapsack or haversack or for a sailor's hat. Should work for a groundcloth but might be a tad heavy or stiff for a tarp.

In warm weather, paint the uncut, unsewn canvas with a coat of wallpaper sizing. Then 2-3 coats of black latex paint. Final step is 1 coat linseed oil. If you don't do the treatment in warm sunny weather, drying will be a major issue. When done, the finish will be waterproof & will flex.

Tentsmiths sells a nice lightweight oilcloth that might be good for a trail tarp.

Back