• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Making a Powder Horn

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have been working on another Powder Horn for a couple of days and wanted to take photos of the project to share as I went along. Of course I forgot to do so as I got deeper into the job :rolleyes: ...
This horn is from a steer and a nice size (over 12" finished), with some white for the lower portion of the Powder Horn. It was very raw as you can see, and I couldn't remove all the rough parts, however to my eye the 'imperfections' add some unique character and somehow charm. With this surface to work with I decided to just carve in some heavier lines to create a broad design.
I wanted to do some bold profile 'turnings' in the upper end and at the spout. As I worked the horn I ran into some layers of horn that were lifting (it's like micro-layers of an onion, but fingernail-like material). Damn. So, I had to carve/cut below those liftings to get into more solid horn. There went my design.
I tinted the horn and did a secondary tinting inside the arched carvings. (For adding color, I use a dye mixture, which does penetrate into the horn. I then seal it with several lifght applications of shellac and then a supercoat of Paste Wax for a very durable finish,) I don't know where I got the idea of adding color to the design, but I think it adds an almost Pennsylvania-Dutch feeling to this one. I might continue with this coloring method and add some more folk elements in the body if I have more clean space to work with.
This is my Number 4. The next one will be another creative adventure, no doubt.
Hey, that turned out slick, you really have a knack for making horns!

those "imperfections" make that horn really pop! man can cut lines and squiggles into something but only nature can put those marks where they are. that horn is haunting my dreams.
i think i am developing another addiction!
I am glad you like it! I really enjoy making these and wish I had more time to make many more!

Out of respect to the OP, until now I've ignored the comments regarding my post as to why politics entered into a response. My point is this, if we're supposed to be discussing black powder shooting, muzzleloader topics, etc., why does this happen? There is a place on this forum for political discussions and topics to take place. Feel free to use them but leave the rest of us out of it. I don't need to read your biased comments regardless of whether I agree with your opinion or not.

That's all for now. Take care and until next time...be well.

snapper

Out of respect to the OP, until now I've ignored the comments regarding my post as to why politics entered into a response. My point is this, if we're supposed to be discussing black powder shooting, muzzleloader topics, etc., why does this happen? There is a place on this forum for political discussions and topics to take place. Feel free to use them but leave the rest of us out of it. I don't need to read your biased comments regardless of whether I agree with your opinion or not.

That's all for now. Take care and until next time...be well.

snapper
I think you should just relax and not be so sensitive. God forbid someone tell you a “ why did Washingtonn cross the Delaware…” joke. Or in the immortal words of Sargent Hulka “lighten up Francis”

Sorry, can't relate to your Washington joke as I'm not familiar with it. All I'm saying is let's keep the politics on that forum. Nothing more, nothing less. I don't see why that's such a big deal for some folks. You're certainly entitled to your opinion. Just put it in the place that's set up for it. If there wasn't a place for it, then I could understand why it happens. Unfortunately, that's not the case so why not use the avenue provided? Makes sense to me and would eliminate this back and forth that takes away from the OP's post.

Until next time...be well.

snapper

Very nice work! At some point I plan on doing a powder horn from scratch, when my backlog of projects thins a bit. I wouldn't have thought of dyeing any patterns.

pathfinder inspired me to build one. my first . now i am half way through my second.
20210813_213402.jpg

half way through the second and discovered an insipient crack inside. Epoxy time!
the second is black and white. like the white ones best . can get them translucent.
that first one separates between the wedding rings and the stopper is a dowel i made of deer antler. tapered so it only fits with the tip in line where it should be. the staple is brass rod bent and sharpened with barbs so it wont pull. the hanger on the wedding ring is also brass rod bent with the two ends socketed into holes in the band. i blackened the brass with one treatment of Aluminum black and then topped it with bluing.

Last edited:
I have been working on another Powder Horn for a couple of days and wanted to take photos of the project to share as I went along. Of course I forgot to do so as I got deeper into the job :rolleyes: ...
This horn is from a steer and a nice size (over 12" finished), with some white for the lower portion of the Powder Horn. It was very raw as you can see, and I couldn't remove all the rough parts, however to my eye the 'imperfections' add some unique character and somehow charm. With this surface to work with I decided to just carve in some heavier lines to create a broad design.
I wanted to do some bold profile 'turnings' in the upper end and at the spout. As I worked the horn I ran into some layers of horn that were lifting (it's like micro-layers of an onion, but fingernail-like material). Damn. So, I had to carve/cut below those liftings to get into more solid horn. There went my design.
I tinted the horn and did a secondary tinting inside the arched carvings. (For adding color, I use a dye mixture, which does penetrate into the horn. I then seal it with several lifght applications of shellac and then a supercoat of Paste Wax for a very durable finish,) I don't know where I got the idea of adding color to the design, but I think it adds an almost Pennsylvania-Dutch feeling to this one. I might continue with this coloring method and add some more folk elements in the body if I have more clean space to work with.
This is my Number 4. The next one will be another creative adventure, no doubt.
Love the color ,it rocks. And the "impperfections" remind me of birch bark . Its gorgeous!

Back