• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Making a Powder Horn (Part 1)

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Forgive my obscure question: I was under the impression that some of the pins in horns were made of horn. I knew that some plugs were put in with thorns, but not plain dowel pins. Thanks all, for your patience. Told you I was a neophyte!
So, wood dowels are OK, just stain them black if I want them black, and use maple if I want them white? Don't need to be bone or ivory (yikes) for white?

Forgive my obscure question: I was under the impression that some of the pins in horns were made of horn. I knew that some plugs were put in with thorns, but not plain dowel pins. Thanks all, for your patience. Told you I was a neophyte!
So, wood dowels are OK, just stain them black if I want them black, and use maple if I want them white? Don't need to be bone or ivory (yikes) for white?
Nothing wrong about asking questions! That's how we learn.
I use dowels from the hardware store. They seem to do fine :)

Thank you for posting this! I have hopeful plans that during the next two years I will complete two Kibler rifles either the Woodsrunner or Colonial as gifts for my grandsons in honor of the 250th anniversary of the Declaration of Independence. To go with them I hope to do powder horns and so this is just awesome help.

My question is the color changes that you have on your horns, it can't be natural as nature rarely does straight lines. How is this obtained? Also, as I will want to scrimshaw the horns, how are you able to get horns of lighter color as places such as Crazy Crow don't post pictures of each horn they have. I know ebay sellers are posting pictures of the exact horn or group you are buying. Also, what is a reasonable price for a raw horn? The prices seem to be all over the place.

Again, Thank you for posting this and I look forward to part II

Woody

Latest posts

Back