• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Making a front sight for aging eyes

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vaino

Cannon
Reaction score
Used this front sight in the later years of squirrel hunting and seeing I liked 6 pcs of meat from each squirrel, head shots were mandatory. This sight is composed of 3 pcs....the base, blade and sterling silver insert which is soft soldered in and has a light gathering face angle The base has a slot for the blade and a hole to rivet the blade and base together. When assembled, the sight was browned. The blade is .100 thick which might seem too wide, but along w/ a rear sight which has a square notch that has plenty of "daylight" w/ the front sight when aiming, this combo head hit 100s of squirrels. The sterling silver insert had to be polished every so often and became thinner through the many yeas of use but was never replaced.

The LR used was my first LR build attempt and although it didn't look pretty, the Douglas 42" X 7/8" straight bbl in .45 cal was super accurate but a little muzzle heavy.....Fred

P1010005.JPG
P1010002.JPG

One thing I hate is a too skinny front sight. A thick front sight and a 6 o clock hold work for me.

Used this front sight in the later years of squirrel hunting and seeing I liked 6 pcs of meat from each squirrel, head shots were mandatory. This sight is composed of 3 pcs....the base, blade and sterling silver insert which is soft soldered in and has a light gathering face angle The base has a slot for the blade and a hole to rivet the blade and base together. When assembled, the sight was browned. The blade is .100 thick which might seem too wide, but along w/ a rear sight which has a square notch that has plenty of "daylight" w/ the front sight when aiming, this combo head hit 100s of squirrels. The sterling silver insert had to be polished every so often and became thinner through the many yeas of use but was never replaced.

The LR used was my first LR build attempt and although it didn't look pretty, the Douglas 42" X 7/8" straight bbl in .45 cal was super accurate but a little muzzle heavy.....Fred

View attachment 71805View attachment 71806
Nice work. I will take one !

Buzz

I have the same barrel on my target rifle I made forty years ago. My solution for the front sight was to make a thick steel sight and put an Ivory insert into it. The white Ivory catches the light and the steel prevents the ivory from breaking.

Attachments

• front ivory sight.jpg
    front ivory sight.jpg
    84.9 KB · Views: 107

Latest posts

Back