• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

making a camp box

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

old ugly

40 Cal.
Reaction score
maybe not the HC method but this is a box I am building.
sorry about the photo quality.
basically build the bottom what ever size you need and dimension it so as to be pleasing to the eye.
determine the amount of curve by trying to bend your top boards in your hands ahead of time (you may have to make the top boards thinner or have less curve). I make all mine thin so it is easy to bend and the box will be lite. after you have the main box dimensioned start adding and fitting the top. on this one I started with the center board but you can start where ever. then match each consecutive board. I leave them long and trim later. I use glue, tape and the pinner gun (you cant see the pins in the photos but they are there)to hold it together, (I think small ratchet straps may work too). im going to put finishing trim around it after with small square nails so it looks correct. this is what I have so far, it has to sit for the glue to dry and I am hoping to carry on tomorrow.

building is as a complete assembly and im going to cut the top off when its finished. so I am trying to remember to space the nails so they will not interfere with cutting it off.
the box should stay close to square this way.

I have wondered for years how to do one of these! If there are more pictures, keep them coming. My efforts will result in a much cruder item, but just knowing how it's done will make it turn out better. :thumbsup:
Ed

I bought
(2) 10ft "1x6" grade #3 pine boards = $12.00. and have some left over.
(2) hinges at the Restore. $1.50 and antiqued them
(1) leather belt blank $16.00 ( I couldn't find a leather belt at the goodwill) the blank is enough to do 2 boxes.

other stuff
-1" nails I made square
- glue
- some old stain I had
- sand paper
- scraps of sheetmetal

I made all the other hardware, handle ends, top strap ends and hold down, and the pins that secure them and the hinges.

So under $30.00.

Even though I prefer flat toped boxes so I can "stack " them I must admit your box really looks nice. :idunno:

Very interesting. I wish I had the skill for something like that. How do you get the top to lay where it should when closed? Is it just the stiffness of the hinges or do you put something sticking up on the inside corners to keep it lined up?

Brokennock
if you build the whole box and cut the top off after it is assembled the top will stay square and fit the bottom. the hinges shouldn't have hold it square. you could make leather hinges and it would still fit together nice.

ou

Hmm interesting. I understood the part about building it as one unit to keep it square when the lid is cut off, just thought it might want to slide around a bit.
One of these days I hope to have the tools, space, and courage to try something like this.

Back