• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Making a bullet board

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tankerchief

32 Cal
Reaction score
Now that I've been bitten by the Black Powder Bug, I want to start small and slow, and make a bullet board for my .50 Hawkin. How think should the board be to hold the balls securely?

-Mike

That's a loaded question , however , I prefer about 3/8 " to 5/16 " thick wood , so the patched ball can protrude below the wood slightly. This allows the protruding patched ball to center itself , in the bore , before the short starter does it's work................oldwood..............Be glad to help w/other stuff.

That's a loaded question , however , I prefer about 3/8 " to 5/16 " thick wood , so the patched ball can protrude below the wood slightly. This allows the protruding patched ball to center itself , in the bore , before the short starter does it's work................oldwood..............Be glad to help w/other stuff.
That's exactly the information I was looking for. And, I actually have a piece of wood that is 3/8's. I'll let you know how it turns out!
Thanks!

This is helpful too

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1670196947182.jpg
    FB_IMG_1670196947182.jpg
    19.6 KB · Views: 0
Here's what I did. A shooting board that clamps onto the bench at the range. Holds the gun, range rod and starter. Has a little indentation to hold primers and 30 premeasured powder loads.

Two different style block sets that holds 30 prelubed .50 cal Maxi-Balls. They fit on the left side of the board.
You can adjust the size of the hole to fit your patched ball by using a bigger or smaller drill bit.

The key to this is a drill press and a jig to space the holes evenly

Attachments

• Shooting board.jpg
    Shooting board.jpg
    356.4 KB · Views: 0
  • 20200917_024421.jpg
    20200917_024421.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 0
  • 20200917_024430.jpg
    20200917_024430.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 0
  • 20210810_152142.jpg
    20210810_152142.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 0
Here's what I did. A shooting board that clamps onto the bench at the range. Holds the gun, range rod and starter. Has a little indentation to hold primers and 30 premeasured powder loads.

Two different style block sets that holds 30 prelubed .50 cal Maxi-Balls. They fit on the left side of the board.
You can adjust the size of the hole to fit your patched ball by using a bigger or smaller drill bit.

The key to this is a drill press and a jig to space the holes evenly
Love the work you put into everything. You are right about the drill press and jig. I've attempted 3 boards using my hand held drill. They are functioning but ugly; not matter how hard I tried to keep the holes in a straight line :(

You are right about the drill press and jig. I've attempted 3 boards using my hand held drill. They are functioning but ugly; not matter how hard I tried to keep the holes in a straight line :(
Keep your eyes open for one of those presses that uses your hand drill, They pop up on craigslist, FB marketplace and at flea markets all the time, generally for $5 or so - because they suck and no one wants them.
However for something as simple as this it will get the job done.

I like the board to be a little thicker than the diameter of the ball so as it bounces around during the season the patch doesn't rub on anything.

Now I know that's sort of anal and probably of no purpose whatsoever but I do it anyway.

I don't use my shot pouch at the range , but do use my powder horn. Have an old 8" by 10" green Army tool box with sight drift , extra patching , lube container , and a ball peen hammer. Extra ear plugs for watchers , and rags to wipe hands. Pliers , and screw driver. Extra flints , too. Oh yes , my wife's tooth brush , to clean the lock pan between shots. Works for me.

Back