What a gorgeous pistol. One like this is definitely on my ever-growing wish list.Hi,
I haven't posted much on this project for a while. I had to put it aside for other work for clients, my eternal dilemma. I finally finished it and am pretty happy with it. It is an elegant gun that feels wonderfully balanced in the hand. I gave it the decorative bells and whistles that would be expected on a good quality private purchase officer's pistol. What that means is the fit and finish is very good and the engraving is better than average for the time. It is not a first quality gun because, for its time period, a first quality pistol or long gun would not have a round-faced lock. It is very difficult to get folks to understand that on British guns, by 1760, round-faced locks were considered cheap and almost exclusively on livery, military, and trade guns. At best, they were used on second quality export guns. Flat locks with decorative bevels were the fashion on almost all better quality guns by 1770. Of course, there were always exceptions and sometimes a wealthy client with very conservative tastes would have fine pistols made using round-faced locks. The acorn pistol trigger guard is from the 1770s so the pistol kit cannot be made into a high-end gun from the 1750s, when round-faced locks were still in high fashion, and it probably would not be a high-end pistol from the 1770s because of the lock. So the compromise I made was a good quality officer's pistol from the 1770s. It is the kind of product that Twigg, Wogdon, and Griffin made for military customers with modest means. These pistols were made in pairs and the barrels were forged, bored, and reamed as a single unit then cut into two pistols barrels, Thus, they had the exact same bores. I engraved the lock with a simple military-like border and my signature. It has a very elegant look. The pistol balances wonderfully and the trigger pull is 2 lbs. I turned the ramrod from a blank of Indian rosewood. The muzzle end is tipped with American bison horn and I made a sheet steel ferrule and spring steel tow worm for the other end. The black walnut stock was stained to look like English walnut and finished with Sutherland-Welles polymerized tung oil. The black walnut was a nightmare during the finishing phase because it kept chipping off sharp edges, particularly along the inlet for the butt cap. I really hate it unless you find a really dense chunk. It was the stock that came with the kit but if I did one again, I would trash the black walnut stock and work from scratch using an English walnut blank.