• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Making a 90% Jenks lock

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I bought a Jenks carbine several years ago and thought it would be cool to make a smaller version of the Jenks lock. The original Jenks lock is about 6-1/2" long and my lock copy is 5-7/8" long. I didn't copy the interior of the lock mechanism either, I used a more "modern" version of the lock mechanism.

First here's a photo of the Jenks lock:
00 straight hammer.jpeg

and this is what the interior looks like:
101_0116.JPG

So here is the start of the lock plate and hammer:
101_0054.JPG
the lock plate is sitting on top of the metal for the hammer.

Here's a photo of the hammer & lock plate:
101_0063.JPG

A shot of the plate profile and installing the pivot block for the sear. The photo shows the pivot screw in the background for the sear. The pivot block is installed in a slot and the base is peened over on the front of the lock plate. This type of assembly is done when making a wheel lock mechanism - that's where I learned how to do it.
101_0065.JPG
Here the peened material is cut off:
101_0070.JPG

and it looks like this after the peened material is filed off:
101_0073.JPG

Last edited:
So in this photo I've got the sear and the sear actuator are installed. The hole for the hammer is drilled too.
101_0075.JPG

I don't have photos of the rest of the project.....where I was making the two springs and fitting the swivel into the hammer. But here is a photo of the interior of the lock today.
IMG_0178a.jpg
IMG_0175a.jpg

and a photo at full cock:
IMG_0176a.jpg

A photo of the finished lock:
IMG_0171a.jpg

and a shot at full cock:
IMG_0173a.jpg

So all there is to do is to make a new swivel for the hammer and polish and then off to the camp fire for hardening.

Hope you enjoyed the photos. Mike

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back