• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Major improvement

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
We had a shoot here in Georgia Saturday. Talking Rock Black Powder Shooters.
I have been shooting miserably with my TC .50 Hawken I made from a kit. I decided to get off my Fanny and do something about that.
since my eyes have lost their Hawkeye ability, I put on a Lyman peep sight, and a Lyman Globe sight on the front.
I decided to actually try Dutch Schulz’s methodology. I only changed one thing, and used a much thicker patch. Same .490 ball, and same 70g of powder-2F.
ball required some mighty whacks to seat, but loaded fine.
I used first shots to see where it was hitting-shooting from a bench, then used Kentucky windage on the rest of the shots at paper targets And steel plates.
To my delete, I did better than I have ever done, finishing in the middle of the pack of 21 shooters.
I am sticking with Dutch from now on. I was asked why I was wiping the barrel between shots, and just said if it was good enough for Dutch to write about, good enough for me. Best groups I have shot, and the rifle and load still not fully figured out. I am aiming to do much, much better.
I also used the lead balls from my first attempt at casting, weighed and discarded all but balls plus or minus 1 grain.
Progress at last!

Attachments

• IMG_0515.jpeg
    IMG_0515.jpeg
    268 KB · Views: 5
Those of us who play this game owe a big thankyou to Dutch for his advise on getting maximum accuracy. Many good shooters are "keepers of the secret". Dutch shared his knowledge .

Got out late, but spent about 3 hrs at the range. Only change I made was increasing powder charge to 75 g. Shot from a rest at 50 yds. My first attempt at changing sight settings-finally have it almost sighted in. I will experiment with .495 balls instead of .490.
Minor comedy when I got confused on which way to turn the elevation and windage screws, Homer Simpson moment!
5 shots at 50 yds.

Attachments

• IMG_4876.jpeg
    IMG_4876.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
Back