• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Major discoloration of brass after first shooting

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mundus

32 Cal
Reaction score
Yesterday I shot for the first time with my enfield. After shooting I saw red patina on the brass parts of the rifle. I don't know if it's from gunpowder smoke or from touching with hands dirty in gunpowder? Is it possible to clean it somehow or only polishing can remove that?
Can I prevent this in any way in the future?

Attachments

• 20230603_075813.jpg
    20230603_075813.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 5
  • 20230602_225721.jpg
    20230602_225721.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
Yesterday I shot for the first time with my enfield. After shooting I saw red patina on the brass parts of the rifle. I don't know if it's from gunpowder smoke or from touching with hands dirty in gunpowder? Is it possible to clean it somehow or only polishing can remove that?
Can I prevent this in any way in the future?
Some guys love the patina! It's natural from use!

After using Brasso wash the brass with water, other wise green will start to form.

Verdigris is a common name for any of a variety of poisonous copper salts of acetic acid, which range in colour from green to a bluish-green depending on their chemical composition. [6] : 132 Verdigris has been used for artistic purposes from antiquity until the late 20th century, including in easel painting , polychromatic sculptures , and ...

ADVENTURES OF TOM SAWYER, By Twain, Part 3. ... "What's verdigrease?" "It's p'ison. That's what it is. You just swaller some of it once—you'll see." So Tom unwound the thread from one of his needles, and each boy pricked the ball of his thumb and squeezed out a drop of blood. In time, after many squeezes, Tom managed to sign his initials ...

After using Brasso wash the brass with water, other wise green will start to form.
On military arms patina is viewed as neglect, at least in the Army I was in.
Hey Phil, I think Patina is the new head of the AF Tranny Wing. Best be careful. We don't want you getting cancelled ! SW

I THINK brass was kept shiny on old guns. At onetime I let it all tarnish naturally. I buff mine with 4-0 steel wool.
Brick dust was go to in the old days.

Back