• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Mainspring Vise

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sicilian Hunter

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I am looking for a mainspring vise to carry afeild.
I don't see that you would be using it all that often out in the bush but if you needed it you would be sorry you left it behind.
I have not bought one yet and don't know much about what makes one PC/HC.
Just going by what I pull up online, its mainly TOW that carries them and they're sold out of the basic version.
The "deluxe" is double the price, is it worth that?
Do they vary much in size for rifle to smoothbore/ musket?
Are they just generic?
Is there another vendor(s) that carry them ?

The Sicilian

They're not the same. And the Deluxe is worth every penny.
I bought the cheap one first,, then spent a few years learning why it's cheaper the hard way. Sure it works,, but you spend a lot of time fiddling around getting it set just right to do the job and you really stress the thing with some of the small spanish locks.
The larger frame and post screw make the Deluxe easy to use,, the "anvil" section pivots cleanly and the spring support is smooth,, basically the all around build of the Deluxe,, larger with tighter tolerance makes it a joy to use compared to the cheaper models.
Buy one and done is my advice.

They're not the same. And the Deluxe is worth every penny.
I bought the cheap one first,, then spent a few years learning why it's cheaper the hard way. Sure it works,, but you spend a lot of time fiddling around getting it set just right to do the job and you really stress the thing with some of the small spanish locks.
The larger frame and post screw make the Deluxe easy to use,, the "anvil" section pivots cleanly and the spring support is smooth,, basically the all around build of the Deluxe,, larger with tighter tolerance makes it a joy to use compared to the cheaper models.
Buy one and done is my advice.
Necchi,
Thanks for the tip

I don't see that you would be using it all that often out in the bush but if you needed it you would be sorry you left it behind.
Just going by what I pull up online, its mainly TOW that carries them and they're sold out of the basic version.
Are they just generic?

The Sicilian
I own one of the cheap mainspring vises and it works pretty well.

That said, the more expensive one that has a "shoe" that can be adjusted side to side would be a much better design.
I've come across springs where the upper part of the blade is rather short compared with the lower blade and my cheap vise is barely suited for its job with those springs. In fact, I seem to recall needing to put a piece of steel between the lower shoe and the long lower blade on the spring to get it to compress like it should.
If I would have had the fancy vise where the shoe could have been moved to get to the long end of the spring, it would have been a much easier job.

Now, to my opinion about the original question.
I think carrying a mainspring vise with you is just adding an un-needed weight to what you will be carrying. I mean, mainsprings don't commonly break.
What are the chances your mainspring will break? Probably not better than 1 in 10,000.

Anyway, I hope the first part of my answer helps you. :)

You know the old style glass cutters? They work on many locks. Handy to know in a pinch. (Work as a flint knapper too, the little wheel is hardened steel or carbide.

But I still recommend getting a proper one with the pivoting anvil. No chance of "popping" out and fracturing the spring.

image_14683.jpg

Whatever you buy don't leave the spring compressed in the vise while you work on the lock. It can snap if it is kept compressed too far. Release the pressure on the spring then compress it to install it. Because I always release the pressure, it has never happened to me, but I have read of people having it happen to them.

Like necchi, I've used both the TOTW vises and the more expensive one was worth it. Easier to use, especially with my big ol' fat fingers, and more secure once compressed.

I've never read about each soldier or hunter carrying such a vise as part of their standard gear. Now I'm curious about who would have them. Did military units have an armorer to do such repairs? Would most blacksmiths or gunsmiths have them? Did long hunters or mountain men, far removed from civilization or settlements, carry such tools along with spare parts to repair their guns? So many things I don't know. SIGH!

Huh, I have to agree with Zonie on the need and weight of the tool.

Along with it, you will need whatever screw drivers to fit the various screws to get the lock out and to disassemble it and the spring. Might want some lube when putting things back together.

To go with the tool, spare spring and screw drivers, will need a magnet to pick them all up when they are lost on the ground and the rifle is out of commisson.

It was common in the infantry that only the sergeant carried tools. Privates did not. Replacement of springs was a task for the artificers who had the experience, the tools and the replacement parts to repair a firearm.

I do believe that in most individual cases, there is no need to carry a main spring vise while hunting or at the range. I would doubt that any of us carry spare springs with us when hunting. The only time I have ever needed a main spring vise is to get a couple of points in a tactical woods walk competition. The deluxe vise is better constructed. Have you looked at the vise selection from Muzzle Loader Builders' supply or October Country or any other supplier?

It was common in the infantry that only the sergeant carried tools. Privates did not. Replacement of springs was a task for the artificers who had the experience, the tools and the replacement parts to repair a firearm.

I do believe that in most individual cases, there is no need to carry a main spring vise while hunting or at the range. I would doubt that any of us carry spare springs with us when hunting. The only time I have ever needed a main spring vise is to get a couple of points in a tactical woods walk competition. The deluxe vise is better constructed. Have you looked at the vise selection from Muzzle Loader Builders' supply or October Country or any other supplier?
Grenadier,
I did check out the links and its seems Muzzle Loader Builders Supply has the Deluxe and October Country has the standard.
I'm hearing the general consensus is that its a tool for the shooting box but generally not the shooting pouch.
Thinking back, I saw the contents of Mark Baker's shooting pouch at one point and he carried one.
I suppose as he got more salty, he stopped bringing it along just like he eventually got rid of his priming horn.

Huh, I have to agree with Zonie on the need and weight of the tool.

Along with it, you will need whatever screw drivers to fit the various screws to get the lock out and to disassemble it and the spring. Might want some lube when putting things back together.

To go with the tool, spare spring and screw drivers, will need a magnet to pick them all up when they are lost on the ground and the rifle is out of commisson.

FDF said it all before I got here. Waste of energy to carry all that junk around. Lose a small screw on the ground and your rifle is out of commission until you can replace it. More better, keep your range box with tools and parts in the truck. If needed, you can hike out of the woods, fix yer rifle and get back hunting.

Are they just generic?

The Sicilian
Tom Curran makes a very good one <https://thosmachine.wordpress.com/> and Jim Chambers sells them.

Not sure who is making them for other suppliers, but TOW started making their deluxe vise themselves a year or two ago. The quality is much better than some of the other "deluxe" style vises that I have seen around that are most likely imported from India.

It's about as good as a ms vise you can buy today apart from finding an original English example from a cased double gun.

A wide piece of steel with notches that fit the compressed springs you have will work as a field piece. Like the glass cutter concept. If one does not have an extra spring there should be little need.

I’m not sure which one this is , but I’ve had it 10+ years now.

Yes it does go in my bag.

Have I used it? No, but if I need too
I’ll have it.

The Club I Shoot at is a two hour drive, it’s
always better too have something and not need it ,
than too not have something when you do need it...

It doesn’t weigh much and doesn’t take up that much room..

094B6CC9-10F3-4404-844A-D846898809E0.jpeg

Latest posts

Back