• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Main Spring Vise

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Appalachian

Feral American
Reaction score
Needed one, for several reasons on this Tennessee build.

So, I made one.....
Screenshot_20220312-220203_Gallery.jpg

Mainspring vices are a good investment. You can get away with using vice grips, but I don't recommend it. I had a mainspring get launched from a pair of vice grips when I set it down on my work bench and the grips popped open suddenly. That was the last time I used vice grips for the mainspring.

Mainspring vices are a good investment. You can get away with using vice grips, but I don't recommend it. I had a mainspring get launched from a pair of vice grips when I set it down on my work bench and the grips popped open suddenly. That was the last time I used vice grips for the mainspring.
Vise grips are the last thing I would use for a spring. This is what I use. Compress a spring too much, and they can snap. It doesn't take much.
Mainspring Vise, to safely compress a mainspring - Track of the Wolf
Kudo's to The Appalachian for possessing the tools to make one.

Can you post some more photos? I need to make one too.

Thanks, Nustin
I just basically copied the one that's in the link posted above by david w at Track of the Wolf. I like it because it's reversible from left to right hand springs. Right now I'm working on a left hand lock. The one part also swivels nicely to match the profile of the spring so it's held solidly by 3 points of contact and can't slip.
I made the parts out of a 1/2" × 1" cold rolled mild steel bar, and used 1/4×28 socket head cap screws.
Really the one from Track is only $18 and if it had been in stock I would have just ordered one.

Screenshot_20220313-153649_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20220313-153614_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20220313-153528_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20220313-153521_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20220313-153513_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20220313-153503_Gallery.jpg

Compress a spring too much, and they can snap. It doesn't take much.
Yes, basically you just snug up the clamp screw and carefully let the hammer down off of half-cock. You don't even really compress the spring with the vise, just hold it in position. That takes enough pressure off of the spring to remove to.
To reinstall it you just replace it on the lock plate, bring the hammer back to half-cock, and then un-snug the vise screw. Vise comes right off. Very simple to do.

Thank you sir. I haven’t seen one in stock, guess I’ll build it.

Did you mill a divot in the bottom of the lower jaw for the jack screw?

Bought one through Midway (Free Shipping Special) several months ago, it was advertised as Taylor's and Company. When I received it, it was in Pedersoli packaging, made in Italy, big plus, glad it wasn't made in China.

Thank you sir. I haven’t seen one in stock, guess I’ll build it.

Did you mill a divot in the bottom of the lower jaw for the jack screw?
No, didn't figure a need for that. Just snug up the jack screw without actually compressing the spring, then carefully let the hammer down off of half-cock. Everything just holds its position.

Agreed, a Mainspring Vice is an essential tool for any Flintlock / Percussion Lock ML.

Simple to make using hand tools and MUCH easier if you have a milling machine. They are also very reasonably priced. Every one should have at least one.

Back