• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Mag-Spark

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jim Nasium

40 Cal
Reaction score
With the difficulty most of us are having obtaining caps, I decided to give the Mag Spark adapter a try. I happen to have a whole case of CCI 209 shotgun primers, and exactly 0 caps left. I bought one for a Thompson Center .56 smooth bore, and one for a Lyman .54.
If you're not concerned with being period correct, and you're okay with unthreading the adapter cap after every shot, they both work great. They're clearly quite water resistant, and I've had no issues with the adapter cap locking up, though I did anti seize both ends of the Mag Spark adapter.
They appear to be made well. Threading the cap is really no big deal if you're plinking.
I called up and spoke to Phil prior to purchasing with a couple questions. He picks up the phone himself and didn't seem to be in a hurry to get rid of you. Good customer service and quick shipping for anyone interested in an alternative that can keep us shooting.

Oh, and I'm embarrassed to say, but I was curious... I tried Blackhorn 209 in both side locks, and to my surprise it went off every time. I found that pretty interesting. Let's just say someone "gave" me the Blackhorn. :cool:

Got to do what you have to do. Have some myself. Great if it's sopping wet or raining. Nowadays we can't just go out for as long as it takes to get game so have to maximize our efforts.

I agree. It's just another tool in the box. I wouldn't be shooting without one at this point, so it's not going back in the toolbox.

That's good to know that it will ignite Blackhorn. I was considering getting some of those, but didn't want to lay out the cash if it didn't work for BH. I have a sidelock that I loan out and it might be nice to introduce a newby to muzzleloading if they don't feel they have to clean immediately.

Got one on the .52 bore Renegade (38" Green Mountain barrel) still not dialed in.:doh:

At least you get to really test her out. lol
You having trouble with the load, or point of impact... or even worse, both?
Fortunately, that part is mostly good fun as well.

I was hoping they would work in my Pedersoli (sold through Cabelas) 10 gauge but it would not screw all the way down so I had to return them.

The diameter of the Mag Spark was a little larger than the nipple so as coloradoclyde said it hit the back of the breech. Phil said he has sold them to other owners of Pedersoli so I was guessing maybe it was just my barrel.

Back