• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Made the Kibler Leap

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just got off the phone with Kibler…yes indeed it’s true; the kit is done and ready to ship…

As to the WoodsRunner, still taking pre-orders; actual production has not started as yet.

I was really torn between getting a .54 calibre WoodsRunner, a .36 calibre Southern Mountain Rifle or a .40 calibre Southern Mountain Rifle

My kit showed up Monday. I had an appendectomy/hernia repair operation last Thursday so I've not been able to do much until yesterday and today. Still moving slow.

Started on the dry fit. Everything is pretty good. I struggled with the butt plate last evening until I got exasperated and went to bed. Over night I realized that I hadn't taken a file to the back side of the butt plate. After I knocked things down a bit with a file and I had the "wings" on each side flattened out it settled down very well.

The trigger guard is going to take a little wood removal on the front and back of the recess. There's a little step at the front of the bow that needs to sit just right and the back needs a 16th or so removed to settle in.
I bought a set of nice gouges just for this.

It's going pretty well so far. Nervous about the drilling but I'll probably wait awhile on that until I'm 100% health wise.

Thanks everyone for your input. There's a great group of folks here.

Attachments

• image0 (5).jpeg
    image0 (5).jpeg
    121.6 KB · Views: 0
  • Rifle 071522.jpeg
    Rifle 071522.jpeg
    71.6 KB · Views: 0
For a long time I've lusted after a Kibler SMR in .40 or .45. But that's all I can do at present. Actually the biggest obstacle, for me, is the lop. I'm small and 13" is about max for me; in fact 12.5" is my favorite. Then again I don't need another rifle I just want one.
I'm average-ish at 5'9' but I like a shorter stock myself as well. Of course the old across the chest hooked in the arm crescent buttplate thing is probably why it is 13". But I also hate that form of shooting so I'm with you. 20 years ago the "SMR" shape we all know and love was my dream rifle. Nowadays, I like a broad-arsed Dutch-built bugger of a rifle with a mid-18th C. butt and LOP.

A beautiful long wooden crate showed up just a bit ago. The cherry is beautiful and much more figured than I expected. I'm very pleased.

I'll work on it slowly over the coming weeks. I've waited for this for over two years. I'm a happy gent.

I'm going to go with no stain, just Tried and True applied in several very thin coats. Sun and time will bring out the stock's best colors.
How long will it take? Post images

At 12:10, my wife walks in the house and says, “There’s a big box on the front step, with your name on it”
52AF6C03-41FA-44D3-AE85-3C4037A86D05.jpeg

I have never seen so much dense curl in a stock.
E16E7185-CDA0-46D4-962B-B08FC3358A75.jpeg

I have never owned a gun with this much curl.
833935EE-3C86-454D-B718-D19BB1BCB5DA.jpeg

There is literally curl every 1/4” to 3/8” from buttplate to muzzle.

I’m now terrified to work on this gun…I might screw it up

At 12:10, my wife walks in the house and says, “There’s a big box on the front step, with your name on it”
View attachment 150465
View attachment 150466
View attachment 150467

That's why I traded the premium wood for in the white!

View attachment 150465
View attachment 150466
View attachment 150467

Reminds me that two of my favorite hobbies/collections use the same materials. I love a curly stock, and I love a curly top on a guitar. I'd like to imagine Paul Reed Smith and Kibler both trying to wine and dine a wood vendor over getting the most flamiest bit of maple for their products!LOL!

Reminds me that two of my favorite hobbies/collections use the same materials. I love a curly stock, and I love a curly top on a guitar. I'd like to imagine Paul Reed Smith and Kibler both trying to wine and dine a wood vendor over getting the most flamiest bit of maple for their products!LOL!
That’s visual.

For a long time I've lusted after a Kibler SMR in .40 or .45. But that's all I can do at present. Actually the biggest obstacle, for me, is the lop. I'm small and 13" is about max for me; in fact 12.5" is my favorite. Then again I don't need another rifle I just want one.
Hanshi... I've been saying "I don't need another rifle, I just want one" and now I have seventeen. However, I just sold one today. 🤫 It is an obsession

Back