• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Made the Kibler Leap

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The testing continues. I played around a bit this evening with the Laurel Mountain Forge cherry stain. Undiluted it is RED. I mixed one small part stain with 10-15 parts turpentine and the results are the top sample below. It's reddish but unappealing to me.

The bottom board is a second THIN coat of Tried and True BLO and beeswax. This is lovely. My cell phone photo doesn't do it justice. It's rich and warm and looks like wood should look to me.

IMG_4558.jpg

I have seen photos of wonderfully stained and treated cherry gunstocks on the forums and on Jim's website but I don't feel like that's the way I want to go. Everything I've done so far leads me to believe that time and natural light are the way to go with my stock.

I received an email and a call just now from Pauline at Maine Powder House. She's received her shipment of black powder and my 5 pounds of Swiss 3F should be shipped within two weeks. Great news.

About $36, I think. It's pricey but it's quality stuff and 5 lbs will last me a long time. I'll be happy to have it.
I used a lot of Swiss in my BP cartridge rifles and muzzleloaders, but since I no longer have the cartridge guns I pretty much went back to Goex. I like the Swiss powders and think they are better than Goex for BP cartridges but I have so much Goex on hand I doubt I will need to order any more powder for a very long time. Too bad you couldn’t get some other shooters to chip in and split 25 lbs - that would have lowered your cost per pound quite a bit. :)

PERSONAL DILEMA

Interesting and unexpected thing happened at dinner last night. Out of the blue, my wife asked, “I’ve gone over our monthly statements and I’m getting tired of waiting for you to buy that Kibler thingy. You’ve been talking about getting it since before your birthday, 4 months ago. I wish you’d just do it.“

Wow, that was surprising, was not expecting that. Warms my heart that my beloved wife would know about that gun and be patiently waiting for the bill to come in.

I must talk way too much about blackpowder now that I’ve retired. I do know that I talk to myself, because my students would laugh, and tell me about it. I solve a lot of complex problems by running them over and over in my mind…as I run various scenarios or calculations, I tend to talk.

But now I can’t decide which one to get. And Kibler has now added the WoodsRunner…I spent an hour on the phone, this afternoon, with my dad talking it over: the Colonial Rifle, Southern Mountain Rifle, and the WoodsRunner…and my dad, bless his heart, he has the distinct ability to confuse things…

So I spent another hour going over the website…looking and thinking. My personal choice and ideal option would be 3 of each, but I know that outcome…and it would be painful.

I’m at a loss.

Thank you for listening…

PERSONAL DILEMA

Interesting and unexpected thing happened at dinner last night. Out of the blue, my wife asked, “I’ve gone over our monthly statements and I’m getting tired of waiting for you to buy that Kibler thingy. You’ve been talking about getting it since before your birthday, 4 months ago. I wish you’d just do it.“

Wow, that was surprising, was not expecting that. Warms my heart that my beloved wife would know about that gun and be patiently waiting for the bill to come in.

I must talk way too much about blackpowder now that I’ve retired. I do know that I talk to myself, because my students would laugh, and tell me about it. I solve a lot of complex problems by running them over and over in my mind…as I run various scenarios or calculations, I tend to talk.

But now I can’t decide which one to get. And Kibler has now added the WoodsRunner…I spent an hour on the phone, this afternoon, with my dad talking it over: the Colonial Rifle, Southern Mountain Rifle, and the WoodsRunner…and my dad, bless his heart, he has the distinct ability to confuse things…

So I spent another hour going over the website…looking and thinking. My personal choice and ideal option would be 3 of each, but I know that outcome…and it would be painful.

I’m at a loss.

Thank you for listening…
I love that your wife calls it a “Kibler thingy” - don’t you love when they start talking in technical terms! Reminds me of my dear wife!

Which ever Kibler you get will be nice.

My best friend and shooting buddy was like that. He would consider and reconsider buying options until it became confusing to me. He was a very successful businessman and excellent friend. Sadly he succumbed to cancer a couple years ago.

We aren't getting younger , order one and enjoy it!! Then order another!!!

Don

PERSONAL DILEMA

I’m at a loss.

Thank you for listening…
We are fortunate to have such supportive wives! My wife pushed me to order my SMR. She'll shoot it too!

A beautiful long wooden crate showed up just a bit ago. The cherry is beautiful and much more figured than I expected. I'm very pleased.

I'll work on it slowly over the coming weeks. I've waited for this for over two years. I'm a happy gent.

I'm going to go with no stain, just Tried and True applied in several very thin coats. Sun and time will bring out the stock's best colors.

Attachments

• image0 (5).jpeg
    image0 (5).jpeg
    121.6 KB · Views: 0
Back