Made the Kibler Leap

Help Support Muzzle Loading Forum:

Reaction score
The testing continues. I played around a bit this evening with the Laurel Mountain Forge cherry stain. Undiluted it is RED. I mixed one small part stain with 10-15 parts turpentine and the results are the top sample below. It's reddish but unappealing to me.

The bottom board is a second THIN coat of Tried and True BLO and beeswax. This is lovely. My cell phone photo doesn't do it justice. It's rich and warm and looks like wood should look to me.

IMG_4558.jpg

I have seen photos of wonderfully stained and treated cherry gunstocks on the forums and on Jim's website but I don't feel like that's the way I want to go. Everything I've done so far leads me to believe that time and natural light are the way to go with my stock.

Reaction score
I received an email and a call just now from Pauline at Maine Powder House. She's received her shipment of black powder and my 5 pounds of Swiss 3F should be shipped within two weeks. Great news.

Reaction score
About $36, I think. It's pricey but it's quality stuff and 5 lbs will last me a long time. I'll be happy to have it.
I used a lot of Swiss in my BP cartridge rifles and muzzleloaders, but since I no longer have the cartridge guns I pretty much went back to Goex. I like the Swiss powders and think they are better than Goex for BP cartridges but I have so much Goex on hand I doubt I will need to order any more powder for a very long time. Too bad you couldn’t get some other shooters to chip in and split 25 lbs - that would have lowered your cost per pound quite a bit. :)