• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Made Some Lube

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Finally made some of my own lube after collecting the various ingredients for several months.

I like to use bore butter but want to make something similar but more solid. Want to use it to clean, lubricate, lube wads and fill grooves on conicals.

Mutton Tallow came from DGW, Gulf Wax paraffin wax from the grocer and real genuine beeswax that I rendered myself from the local apiary.

First I wanted to try the historic lube known today as Gatefeo #1.

Added the recommended ingredients in the proper quantities and it was rock hard when it set up. I did pour some over my chambers and let it set up though. Next, I added another part Tallow to it with little change. Then added 1/2 part olive oil and then another 1/2 part olive oil, still hard as a rock.

Starting fresh, a smaller batch was put together. 6 parts Tallow, 1 part beeswax and 2 parts olive oil. Now it's like hard butter and in 80 degree weather it didn't melt. Tomorrow it should be warmer and will set it outside in the cough drop tin it was poured into. Mother was by visiting and used it for her hands and cuticles! :wink:

Comments and suggestions appreciated.

If you went to 2 parts olive oil and one part beeswax, you'd get the same consistency. I don't know how much Dixie charges for tallow, but the cheapest olive oil is pretty cheap, and you don't have to wait on a delivery truck if you run out.

Tallow is rendered suet, and suet is the fat specifically from around the heart and kidneys on a cow or a sheep. You might be able to find a local butcher who has suet (not the kind sold for feeding the birds) as it's also used for home made salami, etc. Suet is also used for a British boiled pudding..., yum! :haha:

LD

Man that is a ambitious list of things that this one lube is to do. Where I live I have not found a lube that is not runny at 105 yet not as hard as a brick at 40. I'll me watching the posts. Geo. T.

I make and use a 20% beeswax / 90%lard mixture.While I first started using it as a patch lube when they outlawed buying sperm whale oil, I use far more as a hand ointment or hoof dressing for the horses than I do as a patch lube. :idunno: :idunno:

ohio ramrod said:
I use far more as a hand ointment or hoof dressing for the horses than I do as a patch lube.

My mother put in a request via e-mail yesterday for some!

For months I've been contacting local butchers, grocers, slaughter houses and farms within 50 miles to no avail. Finally broke down and got it from Dixie, should last for years.

I saved that hard stuff and will surely stick it out in the 100 degree sun this summer to see what happens to it. Unless there's a war on or natural disaster, one is not likely to find me outside in 100 degree heat!

Hey! quit picking on Ohio Ramrod! Obviously his mix is based on 90% inspiration and 40% perspiration.....aahhhh.....hang on a minute. Maybe that's 70%/50%.........awww nuts.....I hate cipherin' :haha: cheers Paul

That's easy to do if you're really working hard at it, ask any high school football coach! :haha:

I never did figure out how to give 110% on the football field but maybe there's a way to do it when it comes to mixing lube. :stir:

swathdiver said:
Finally made some of my own lube after collecting the various ingredients for several months.

I like to use bore butter but want to make something similar but more solid. Want to use it to clean, lubricate, lube wads and fill grooves on conicals.

Mutton Tallow came from DGW, Gulf Wax paraffin wax from the grocer and real genuine beeswax that I rendered myself from the local apiary.

First I wanted to try the historic lube known today as Gatefeo #1.

Added the recommended ingredients in the proper quantities and it was rock hard when it set up. I did pour some over my chambers and let it set up though. Next, I added another part Tallow to it with little change. Then added 1/2 part olive oil and then another 1/2 part olive oil, still hard as a rock.

Starting fresh, a smaller batch was put together. 6 parts Tallow, 1 part beeswax and 2 parts olive oil. Now it's like hard butter and in 80 degree weather it didn't melt. Tomorrow it should be warmer and will set it outside in the cough drop tin it was poured into. Mother was by visiting and used it for her hands and cuticles! :wink:

Comments and suggestions appreciated.

I'd refrain from using paraffin wax as it's patroleum based...... stick with the bees wax. :v

Tom

The beeswax really stiffens up the mixture, you need very little to do that.

I made up another batch and this seems to work better.

4 parts Mutton Tallow, 1 part Beeswax and 3 parts Olive Oil.

Then I also wanted some with the consistency of bore butter or a little thicker for Florida.

1 part Mutton Tallow, 1 part Beeswax and 5 parts Olive Oil.

This one with 4 parts of olive oil was kind of like potato salad, with the 5th part, it's more creamy now.

Will report back when these have been outside in the heat.

Latest posts

Back