• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Made new friends

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FatBack

36 Cl.
Reaction score
Made new friends
A mutual friend introduced me to a guy whose house he rode me out to, to dig out a fish tank stand from the overgrowth. Anyhow, he and his wife are retired and live right on the river about 2 miles in off a series of dirt roads, all the houses are on stilts as it floods the patio under the house, annually. The residents have to take boats out to their vehicles parked on higher ground, maybe a few weeks of the year.

It's sorta an enclave community of rednecks and bikers. Anyhow, we hung out awhile, had a few beers, checked out the dock to river. I asked if they shoot guns out their, yes...yes he does. Said I should have brought mine. He invited me and the other half to come out anytime, he enjoys the company and said just give him a call and he can pick us up and drop us off, he's only about 5 miles away and There is a bathroom my old lady can access (she is a disabled, above knee amputee, in a wheelchair). I know she will enjoy it as she has old friends in the area she has not seen in ages.

As for me, It was nice to meet some new friends and have an area I can legally shoot on. Been years since our situation allowed me to shoot. Used to shoot on the flood plain of the river, it's legal but between the property owners and game wardens, it's a hassle waiting to happen. Well, now I know a property owner and the law cant hassle him over shooting on his land. Most everyone living back in there, does.
========================
Went shooting my 1858 New Model Army "buffalo" model, today. We fired 13 rounds, he has a plethora of guns but only one ML, a never fired .44 percussion cap and ball, the Colt (Navy?) clone. He never fired it on account of interests in his other guns and not knowing how to load.

Well, anyhow fun was had by all. Turns out he had some accessories, felt wads, pound of 3F black, some nice .451 hornaday RLB, powder measure and capper and solvents.....and (something I have desperately needed)...a nipple wrench he loaned me. I have never removed them for a good inspection and cleaning. They all came out easy, holding the cylinder in one hand and wrench in the other.

Anyhow, he fired maybe 5 rounds. I could tell he liked the smoke cloud and distinct bass, missing from modern guns. Think the BP bug has bitten him ;)

Powder was Schuztzen (Sp?) 2f, not the greatest but it's what I have. His 1lbs tin is 3f elephant, I have no idea how long in storage and we did not shoot any of it.

Back