• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Made my first buffler horn

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Frontier's

Buckskins & Black Powder
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
Its not complete yet, just did the pine plug last night and the epoxy seal is still curing. Very pleased with it. I'll be making a couple staples next to add my strap to. I didn't want a fancy polished out horn. Just something you could make serviceable out in the mountains if your horn broke or was lost and you needed a replacement. I'll finish by the base plug too and figure out what to do about staining it or letting it age naturally.
20200706_202313.jpg

Done! Made the staples myself out of a coat hanger, flattened them, heated then up and put a twist in them. A little wood glue for some support and they tapped into the horn and wood base plug nicely. The base plug & spout I lightly torched for some age and color. A hand rubbed coat of linseed oil and shes done! Already hanging off my shooting bag. 100% sealed air tight including the staple that goes through the horn.

Im going to make a small i hook tomorrow and connect it to a thin piece of leather. I hate holding the spout between my teeth while reloading 😁

If the opposite end of the plug was hollowed out you could use it for a powder measure too. If it's too small for a full charge make it a fraction. 1/2 1/3 1/4

Back