• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Made a New Powder Horn

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
20190722_195407.jpg
20190722_195424.jpg

Here's my charging horn for the 4f.
I still need to do some aging on it.
The next is the powder horn in which is bison. It too will get some aging. I think they turned out ok for my first crack at them.
15647051887628693322123373538821.jpg
15647052444106480519684748000448.jpg

That many brass brads or small nails, are they all being used or are some of them for decoration purposes? Either way the horn looks "swell".

I made mine just to do it, first one, still haven't finished. Didn't know about the brass till after but left it for now. Might replace em with some thorns, cutting wood soon.

Attachments

• 20190801_172724 (2).jpg
    20190801_172724 (2).jpg
    74.1 KB · Views: 75
  • 20190801_172740 (2).jpg
    20190801_172740 (2).jpg
    96.3 KB · Views: 72
Every other one is just a pin for decoration.Blogman, you mentioned the brass,is there something about using them for which I shouldn't?

Rick our horns SURELY did not come off the same poor beast as mine was so ugly only a unicorn with scabrous leprosy could have possibly been cursed with it, HA! Glad to hear you're in Fayetteville, I live south of Huntsville, near Aurora.

Every other one is just a pin for decoration.Blogman, you mentioned the brass,is there something about using them for which I shouldn't?

I seen an article or read something in a forum about brass with horn. I can't remember. I'll fire up me other computer and see if I can find it. I think it was in a forum.

Eucytus said:
I have two horns that were given to me and I intend to make a powder horn or two in the future.

But these things are old and brittle looking.

I'm afraid they'll fall apart.

I would suggest at least trying - after all, that's how many folks learn to do things.

I'm pretty sure you gonna hear this from a more learned person than me. You don't want alot of nails or brads in the end of a horn. If for some reason the horn should ever blow up or ignite you want the base end to easily blow out backwards. Too many nails would create a "bomb".

I'm pretty sure you gonna hear this from a more learned person than me. You don't want alot of nails or brads in the end of a horn. If for some reason the horn should ever blow up or ignite you want the base end to easily blow out backwards. Too many nails would create a "bomb".

That's what it was! There was a vid about it. I'll find it. Excellent Eutycus.

*edit*
Found it.

While the base did blow out leaving the horn intact I'm not sure what kind of test that was. I thought I saw a large hole through the base plug which would have relieved a lot of pressure or am I mistaken in what I saw?

I think I saw the same thing. With that said, all are correct as for making shrapnel.As a reloaded for conventional munitions, I'm well aware of powder and associated pressures.If a source was to enter the horn, it would or could make for a very bad day.
Good info, thank you all.

Welcome aboard!

You've got it going on...

It never ends, lol

I took the same gnawing a few years back over the base plug tacks...lol

Round wooden toothpicks work as pins or Black Locust thorns work great as well.

Amazing that the nice horn you have was under all that crusty stuff.!

Here's an antique horn my dad owns, I't only a bit larger than yours. I like the ring near the spout which is rounded and very symmetric showing the maker spent some time, and the hand made nails or staples at the plug.

Your plug is a lot nicer than in the antique below. I don't have any provenance, other than my dad got it in a box-lot of an auction.

HORN.jpg
HORN PLUG SPOUT.jpg
HORN PLUG NAILS.jpg HORN PLUG.jpg

LD

On that last picture of the old horns base, what is being used for pins or nails? Oops, sorry I just now read where homemade nails were used . But how long are the nails? The plug looks pretty well "anchored".

Last edited:
image.jpg
image.jpg

I have an original that was given to me by my great grandpa, it is pinned in with long brass nails... the nails are very small diameter, and are just under 1/2 inch long. I redone this horn and put it back into service,l. I use this for the Occasional deer hunt and other special occasions.

Last edited:
That is a sweet vintage horn. I like the look of the brass nails. It is for sure a keeper to have in the family.

Back