• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Made a New Powder Horn

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I mainly use this one, it’s smaller and more utilitarian, I scraped this whole horn and never sanded it. I used home made nails to pin and bees wax to seal it.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    83 KB · Views: 81
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    81.8 KB · Views: 73
Last edited:
So many different ways to make them, Ive made over 50 horns. Early on I tried to make some very fancy ones and found I enjoyed making very simple and user friendly Horns a lot more.I’ve sold most and gave a few away as gifts for family members. Enjoy the craft and don’t be afraid to ask questions!

In this and other threads about horns I see the thorn of the Black Locust mentioned. I'm not at all familiar with this tree. About how big are these thorns? And do they compare with the mesquite thorn?

In this and other threads about horns I see the thorn of the Black Locust mentioned. I'm not at all familiar with this tree. About how big are these thorns? And do they compare with the mesquite thorn?
They vary in size,some are around half inch long, while others are are 4 to 5 inches long. I have some locust trees near me, not sure if they are black locust... but they are of the locust family for sure. I’ve cut some thorns off and used them for powder base plugs, I’d honestly rather use toothpicks or shishakabab sticks.

Typically they aren’t as dense on the trees around here as the picture shown above but they are on the trunks and branches. The thorns can be an inch or two long to six inches or longer. Nasty things. The wood is hard, especially if cut and dried.

Thanks! that is some nasty looking thorns. Thankfully our mesquite don't get that big. Of course they do feel "big enough"when stepped on.

Yea, a black locust thicket will make you stop and think about things for a minute! They do make great fenceposts tho. I have built a few urns and caskets from black locust due to it's being able to hold up underground properties.

From what I've read about it, I'm glad this Black Locust is not grown in South Texas. It does sound sort of like our Mesquite. Which by the way is also considered an invasive species.

It does sound alot like a mesquite, the dense wood and all. Is it any good for BBQing? Mesquite is one of, if not the Best. Also the Mesquite has a long "bean" to it. Legumes I think they're called. In fact it was the bean that helped spread this tree. Some of the freighters who used oxen and donkeys used this bean as animal feed. Does the Locust tree have "beans"?

Back