• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Made a New Powder Horn

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
While visiting a buddy last week, I noticed an old scaly horn in a fork of a tree in his front yard. He gave it to me so I decided that I would try to make something usable out of it. I was rather pleased with what I found under all that scale. Found a piece of maple for the plug and some cedar for the stopper. Its a nice size for my squirrel rifles. I may weave a strap for it later.

Attachments

• IMG_1259.jpg
    IMG_1259.jpg
    75.2 KB · Views: 230
  • IMG_1263 3.jpg
    IMG_1263 3.jpg
    67 KB · Views: 224
  • 63DB903B-523D-42F6-A4F8-4CB691490031.jpg
    63DB903B-523D-42F6-A4F8-4CB691490031.jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 229
Any idea how old the horn is? I have two horns that were given to me and I intend to make a powderhorn or two in the future. But these things are old and brittle looking. I'm afraid they'll fall apart.

Ricochet, sometimes some of the best horns are found like you did or in boxes at garage sales or antique shops. I like the challenge of making something out of a piece that others may pass by. Nice job on the horn.

Sorry, I have no idea how old it is, but Im sure it sat in that tree for a long time. Id say if the horn feels like it may have some thickness left, go ahead and try. You may be surprised what is hiding under all that crud. If you hold this one up to the light, you can about see thru it. Thanks Khulb, I like challenges too, especially when they work out in the end.

I saw the words Old + Scaly on your post and immediately thought of my two "old timers" out there. There was a thread on this forum several months ago about some beetle that destroys horns. Interesting read.

I'm in the process of doing up some bison horns for myself. One for the general use and one as a charging horn. I'll post some pics once I get them further along. These are my first attempt at this.

Hello Rick, I found a small horn outside on a barrel at a junk shop in Aurora, Ark. It was about 6 inches long, and looked like death warmed over. The proprietor said I could have it, but I gave him a quarter for the horn, and I took it home and made a walnut plug with a big hand forged iron tack in the middle, and made a small walnut spout plug. It came out about 5 inches long, and I keep it full of 3f in my bag. I was struck at how much it looks like yours, same greyish color, etc. Good job on your horn, it's great to make something from what most people would trash.

Ha! Little of both I guess, Im a big ol boy I guess some would say. At least the boys that hang around my daughters like beagle hounds would ;). I like the smaller horns to use with my .32 and .40 and fff. I can't figure carrying more than I need I guess, here is a downsized pan charger and a powder measure that I made for my squirrel guns too. I got the idea from someone on here for the pan charger, I can't remember who, but I got to give credit to him, :ThankYou:sure hope he don't mind me making it. Mine isn't near as nice as his but works slick, made from a sterling silver butter knife handle and I turned the brass on my lathe. I made every part of the powder measure including the screws on my lathe from brass bar stock. It holds 50 grains of ffg

Attachments

• IMG_1272.JPG
    IMG_1272.JPG
    78 KB · Views: 94
I'm waiting to hear the experts tell how an old horn is "sanded" down. What sort of tool is used , sandpaper?

While visiting a buddy last week, I noticed an old scaly horn in a fork of a tree in his front yard. He gave it to me so I decided that I would try to make something usable out of it. I was rather pleased with what I found under all that scale. Found a piece of maple for the plug and some cedar for the stopper. Its a nice size for my squirrel rifles. I may weave a strap for it later.

Very nice horn, its amazing to me how you can take a sow's ear and turn it into a purse.

I used a scraper to get most of that stuff off, takes a while but leaves a nice finish. You can see it in the top of the first picture laying on my bench. I do use some sandpaper also, especially around the spout . To get the junk out of the inside, I use a small flap wheel for a Dremel. I made a 10" extension from a piece of stainless rod with a set screw so I can use it in my drill, works slick. I can then use burrs to get way down in there. I go over the whole thing with sandpaper to knock down the small ridges left from the scraper, I go to 600 grit. Then I take it to the buffer with a white rouge stick to shine it right up. Thats just the way I do it, and I sure aint an expert.

Hey Ricochet, good work. Looks like the one I made from the garage when I bought me property. Had all kinds of stuff in boxes and found the horn. If I can find my phone (scatter-brained today) I'll post it soon. Not as fancy as yours tho.

Very cool! I’ve made a few that looked like they were tossed in the trash, yard or left out in the weather for waaaaay to long! Ya might be surprised at what ya find under all that scale, just as you did! Nice horn! Like you, I start by scraping and sometimes that’s all I do, other horns tell me to sand on them and refine them a bit more. Your base plug looks pretty nice! My next horn will have the same style of plug as yours,Did you turn that in a lathe?

Actually I have a third horn. A friend gave me an old hunting horn, the kind you blow on to get the hounds attention. I doubt I'll ever hunt with dogs. So it'll probably get turned into a powderhorn as well.

Ricochet, sometimes some of the best horns are found like you did or in boxes at garage sales or antique shops. I like the challenge of making something out of a piece that others may pass by. Nice job on the horn.
There's an antique shop near me with a small bear skin in not the greatest condition. It occasionally sits in the window, then gets moved further into the place. It's not the right neighborhood to try and sell something like that. I'm trying to time catching them in just the right mood to want the thing sold rather'n hoping for a bigger profit.

I was waiting to find some black locust thorns but I may just pin it with brass or toothpicks. I will pin it eventually, no rush right now as Im not using it. I did not turn the base in the lathe as it was out of round to match the horn. I used a belt sander and then progressive grits of sandpaper strips up to 600 grit. Thanks for looking

Latest posts

Back