• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Made a knife

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So I have been working on a knife for a little while now, I had actually had it up for sale here, it didn’t sell, I had a few nibbles but no taker. I decided I would reshape the blade and resharpen it... what do you guys think first pictures are when it was first made, second set it what it looks like now after the blade alteration... comments are welcome...

Attachments

• 5C8BB612-AB93-438A-A372-26504C196816.jpeg
    5C8BB612-AB93-438A-A372-26504C196816.jpeg
    160.7 KB · Views: 108
  • 95D9085B-CCE5-4616-95FB-CECEFABBBEAA.jpeg
    95D9085B-CCE5-4616-95FB-CECEFABBBEAA.jpeg
    106 KB · Views: 108
  • C40EEA0B-E7A3-4F05-B9E1-A31257EBF933.jpeg
    C40EEA0B-E7A3-4F05-B9E1-A31257EBF933.jpeg
    177.2 KB · Views: 106
  • 1EB3CEF5-1024-43FD-82C3-1701C006B4A8.jpeg
    1EB3CEF5-1024-43FD-82C3-1701C006B4A8.jpeg
    87.4 KB · Views: 122
  • ADD98E32-9722-4C8F-A013-994666E36090.jpeg
    ADD98E32-9722-4C8F-A013-994666E36090.jpeg
    57 KB · Views: 100
I like the shape you gave the blade much more than the original version. If you ever consider making another one let me know. I'll give you my thoughts on what I think I want and you can let me know if you're up for taking a stab (pun intended) at making it...

I like the second blade shape better, though the 1st one isn't bad. What I would have liked to see changed would have been a new set of handle scales that cover the entire tang, maybe even that extend onto the blade itself like some period trade knife examples.

My 1st thought when I saw the original for sale was of Horace Kephart.

I like the second blade shape better, though the 1st one isn't bad. What I would have liked to see changed would have been a new set of handle scales that cover the entire tang, maybe even that extend onto the blade itself like some period trade knife examples.

My 1st thought when I saw the original for sale was of Horace Kephart.
I may try that on my next knife, I’m a big fan of “ less is better” I like the slim tiny handles, but I see what your saying.. That extra 1/4-1/2 inch would have put it closer to the blade.The knife feels good in your hand and the pointing finger is safe and secure with the blade tang being narrow. I have a hard time making big clunky handles,Thanks for your input Nock, I’ll for sure look into that on my next knife.

Last edited:
I may try that on my next knife, I’m a big fan of “ less is better” I like the slim tiny handles, but I see what your saying.. That extra 1/4-1/2 inch would have put it closer to the blade.The knife feels good in your hand and the pointing finger is safe and secure with the blade tang being narrow. I have a hard time making big clunky handles,Thanks for your input Nock, I’ll for sure look into that on my next knife.
Handle doesn't need to be big and clunky. I like the slenderness of the current handles.

I like both the old & the new blades (the blade shape in middle pic looks to me unlike either of the other two).

Either which way handles go, IMO if the handle was longer/closer to the blade, you would lose use of the choil at the rear of the cutting edge - which safely comes in handy when choking up on the grasp for closer, more delicate work.

I like both the old & the new blades (the blade shape in middle pic looks to me unlike either of the other two).

Either which way handles go, IMO if the handle was longer/closer to the blade, you would lose use of the choil at the rear of the cutting edge - which safely comes in handy when choking up on the grasp for closer, more delicate work.
Those are all photos of the same knife, I thought the same thing about the rear of the cutting edge, since I do t have a guard on it, this is the safest way to do intricate work as well as heavy duty work. I will entertain and examine different designs though and keep an open mind. Thanks for all your responses!!

Back