• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Muzzleloading Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

WANTED Mad Piper "Jacobite Hilt" Basket Hilted Sword

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am looking for one of the Scottish basket hilted swords which Donnie Shearer, aka The Mad Piper used to make which he called the "Jacobite hilt," which they would be willing to sale.

Thanks!

Good luck in your search. I am very familiar with what your seeking. I have one Mad Piper baskethilt and its a work of authentic art. Mine is styled after an original made by Walter Allan of Stirling 1735-1760. In Wallaces book...plate 36.

I know where other Mad Piper swords are.....I will ask around for you.

I also have a few very well made Dirks. Some Todds stuff and McClean made ones.

Spence

Good luck in your search. I am very familiar with what your seeking. I have one Mad Piper baskethilt and its a work of authentic art. Mine is styled after an original made by Walter Allan of Stirling 1735-1760. In Wallaces book...plate 36.

I know where other Mad Piper swords are.....I will ask around for you.

I also have a few very well made Dirks. Some Todds stuff and McClean made ones.

Spence
Pm sent.

Gus,

I was referring to a specifically sword which Donnie Shearer used to offer on his website The Mad Piper, which he called a "Jacobite Hilt." It was an early Scottish basket hilt which was similar to a Glasgow hilt, but it did not have a wrist guard, or an additional rear guard, and it had tapered side guards.

Thanks for your interest!
I'm guessing but are your referring to something like this? :dunno:

myArmoury_lowland_1280.jpg

I'm guessing but are your referring to something like this? :dunno:

kj354,

Thanks very much for your reply! That is a good looking sword you sent me a picture of, but it is a different style of sword. What I am looking for is very specific sword which the late Donnie Shearer aka The Mad Piper used to offer on his website which he called the "Jacobite Hilt." This is the sword I am referring to:
Mad Piper Jacobite Hilt.JPG

Thanks again for your reply!

kj354,

Thanks very much for your reply! That is a good looking sword you sent me a picture of, but it is a different style of sword. What I am looking for is very specific sword which the late Donnie Shearer aka The Mad Piper used to offer on his website which he called the "Jacobite Hilt." This is the sword I am referring to:
View attachment 53653

We know what you're looking for, well at least what someone called it, I just had no clue what it looked like so I took a guess based on your description. As for finding that one on sale? I've tried with no luck. I wish you the best of luck finding one.

kj354,

View attachment 53653

Did another quick search, this is the closest I've been able to find. Have no idea if it suits your want or not.

By The Sword - Battlecry Culloden Basket-Hilt Sword

As a totally different approach to authenticity...
Rob Roy MacGregor's personal basket hilt, as well as (if I remember correctly) another period piece, were submitted for cleaning and study a couple of years ago, w/ pics online. Given the degrèe of straightforwardness, and the (relative) ease of welding steel bars, I have toyed vwith the idea of creating one, rather than being relegated to a display of one that actually was a copy of one issued to the Queen's Own.

Back