• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Muzzleloading Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

WANTED Mad Piper "Jacobite Hilt" Basket Hilted Sword

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tacksman45

Pilgrim
Reaction score
I am looking for one of the Scottish basket hilted swords which Donnie Shearer, aka The Mad Piper used to make which he called the "Jacobite hilt," which they would be willing to sale.

Thanks!

I don't have one for sale, but you definitely piqued my curiosity about a "Jacobite Hilt." Do you mean a hilt that was common in the early to mid 18th century?

Gus

Gus,

I was referring to a specifically sword which Donnie Shearer used to offer on his website The Mad Piper, which he called a "Jacobite Hilt." It was an early Scottish basket hilt which was similar to a Glasgow hilt, but it did not have a wrist guard, or an additional rear guard, and it had tapered side guards.

Thanks for your interest!

Jacobite hilt

Attachments

• index.jpg
    index.jpg
    10.8 KB · Views: 285
Sorry Rich but that is an 1828 pattern hilt and not what the gentleman is seeking.

If its a replica someones gone to an awful lot of skilled work .The freshness of the condition scarce any wear might mean never used and for a child quite remarkable not to ding it about at least .Why go for the swivel rod just for a replica? it looks too good but I think it could be right . Rudyard

The above response was about a Spanish pistol not sure how it got into swords. Any pre 1745 Scots sword can be a Jacobite sword I doubt there are any' Regulation patterns' of anything much even post 45 unless maybe for Scots on the Hanoverian side . This surmise said its never prudent to boldly declare such & such never happened as you can never be cock sure The issue sword was pretty basic but seems to follow a pattern but these are not Jacobite . Regards Rudyard

The above response was about a Spanish pistol not sure how it got into swords. Any pre 1745 Scots sword can be a Jacobite sword I doubt there are any' Regulation patterns' of anything much even post 45 unless maybe for Scots on the Hanoverian side . This surmise said its never prudent to boldly declare such & such never happened as you can never be cock sure The issue sword was pretty basic but seems to follow a pattern but these are not Jacobite . Regards Rudyard
Rudyard,

Thanks for clearing that up, I thought that is probably what happened. You are correct that there were no "regulation patterns" among sword used on the Jacobite side of the 1745 uprising. The reason I used the term "Jacobite Hilt" is that was the name that Donnie Shearer used for a specific sword which he sold on his website "The Mad Piper."

Thanks for the reply!

Skinner

Your very welcome Buckskinner. I used to' do' Jacobite made guns & pistols but not a sword, But had blades made for dirks & Swords as I spent time in Sheffield I have one of those rather heavy repro brass hilted swords intending to reduce it and make up a ribbon hilt . but no need now in NZ. not the events like the US. be too dear to post it. One should turn up over there , lots of luck with that
.Regards Rudyard

Go to https://www.museumreplicas.com and type scottish into the search box.

If you want higher end, poke around on https://pooleysword.com

Nyck

Thanks for the reply. The swords sold by Windlass, Muesuem Reclicas, ect will not work for my purposes. They have a lot of problems, not the least of which is that they are to heavy, and not historically accurate. The basket of these swords were often fitted so closely to the hand that the basket would be larger on the side which the back of the users sword hand would be. Also the Museum Replica's brass hilted sword is especially problematic because in addition to being WAY too heavy, brass was expensive, and with probably one or two exceptions which I am not aware of, all original Scottish basket hilts had steel baskets. Hanwei's is the closest to being accurate, but the way the basket connects to the pommel is not correct. I have a couple of Scottish swords, but I am specifically interested in one of the specific swords that Donnie used to make for my collection.

Thanks again,
Skinner

Your very welcome Buckskinner. I used to' do' Jacobite made guns & pistols but not a sword, But had blades made for dirks & Swords as I spent time in Sheffield I have one of those rather heavy repro brass hilted swords intending to reduce it and make up a ribbon hilt . but no need now in NZ. not the events like the US. be too dear to post it. One should turn up over there , lots of luck with that
.Regards Rudyard
Rudyard,

I remember you now, you commented on my "Thinking about having a Scottish Musket Made" thread a while back. I would love to have a Scottish longarm, but I don't think I could really justify having it for a 1745 impression. I would love just to see any pistols or longarms you still have.

Thanks!

Latest posts

Back