Mad Irish Jack O'Donnell

Discussion in 'Share Your Persona' started by Mad Irish Jack, Jun 23, 2014.

Help Support Muzzle Loading Forum by donating:

1. Jun 23, 2014 #1

Mad Irish Jack

Mad Irish Jack

Mad Irish Jack

40 Cal.

This is the format the Rangers of the Ohio Company have our members use to develop their personas. The questions are in green and we are to fill in the answers. I've left some personal info in XXX. I've also added to the info, copies of letters and a wanted poster as added info backing my impression. I have not shown those here.

Historic Persona Information Sheet

Actual Name: XXXXXXXXXXXXX (Jack)
    Actual Address: XXXXXXXXXXX; McDonald, PA 15057
    Telephone No’s.: Home- XXXXXXX & Cell-XXXXXXX
    Historic Character Name: Jack O’Donnell [aka- “Mad Irish” Jack]

Time Period: Mid 1700’s (also adjusted to Period of portrayal/event)

Ethnic Background: Irish Heritage

When/Where were you born: April 30,17xx (depends on event); born in So. Coventry, Connecticut.

Where do you currently live/spend most of your time? What is your current occupation/lifestyle? Has this always been the case?(Include all in the answer): I own a small farm/ homestead just a few miles southeast of Ft. Bedford in the Commonwealth of Virginia (depends on the time frame of the event portrayal). I have approximately ten acres of land, five head of dairy cattle, four goats, three roosters and a couple dozen brood hens. There is a large, two room log home, and several out buildings. There is also a smaller, one room, log cabin, used by a husband and wife working off indenturements due to me. I received title to this indentured couple as part of a marriage endowment form my wife’s father. I am wanted, falsely, as a fugitive for indignities to an Officer in his Majesty’s Service. The charges are being brought by an officer in a British Highland regiment stationed in /around the Scranton area in the east/central Pennsylvania Commonwealth. Due to this situation, I’ve taken work ,away from my family and home place near Ft. Bedford, with the Ohio Company of Virginia, as a scout, hunter, and laborer. I’ve joined a band of Free Rangers, formed of like associates also working for the Ohio Company, who also hire themselves out as a group or individuals, when and where their skills as woodsman, hunters or whatever else is needed. I return home for whatever period of time I can until the military presence forces me away again.

Family Background: I was born in South Coventry, Connecticut on April 30, (year varies appropriately to period portrayed). I was the only child of Jonathon and Mary Jane O’Donnell, as my mother passed away during my birth. My parents were married in Dunmanway, Cork County , Ireland. My grandparents, on both sides, were employed on large Irish estates under English ownership. They worked for pittances as farmhands and housemaids and whatever else they could do. Borrowing passage payments from a colonial homestead owner from South Coventry in the Commonwealth of Connecticut in the American Colonies, my parents were indenture, coming to work off their debt as cattle master and housemaid on the Hale Homestead in South Coventry. (This was the homestead of the parents of the yet to become famous Rev War hero, Nathan Hale) My father paid off his and my mothers debts to Reverend Hale and he and I moved to the Philadelphia area in eastern part of the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania. There my father was able to find employment for his varied skills. At the age of fifteen I’d worked my way west to the Scranton area where I was employed as a cattle handler for a dairy farm. I saved a goodly amount of my pay and soon had enough funds to try and build my own place homesteading in the west due to the ever expanding westward movement of civilization. For more than a year I had been courting the hand of Lorraine Short, who worked as a tavern maiden in her fathers establishment, located on the southern edge of Scranton. On the road to Lancaster in the southern part of the Pennsylvania Commonwealth. We were married and moved to the west, and settled in the village of Bedford, which is under the protection of a British Fort.

Give a brief statement about your current family: I have a wife, whom I’ve burdened with the responsibility of the homestead due to my problem with the military. We are unable to have children. Shawn Clooney and his wife, Sarah, have three children; ages 5, 4 and 2. My wife takes great pleasure in their presence since we cannot have children of our own. Although Shawn is indentured to me, We have formed a new, mutual agreement. He will be given a small farm plot which will include the cabin where they now reside. In return he does farming chores and protects the homestead when I have to be away, for whatever reason. I trust him and his wife, as my wife saved their eldest sons’ life when he was down with a serious fever. They have sworn a life’s oath of loyalty to my wife and me.

What other individuals figure prominently in your life, and how: You’ve been made aware of some in the preceding information. Also, there is a Col. Avery Montgomery, of the 77tth British Highland Regiment, who’s false accusations and charges against my name are nothing more than a sworn personal vendetta. Others: un-named soldiers; associates and officers in employ of the Ohio Company; They may be either friends or foes.
    *** There are NO prominent historical figures with which I interact (other than those at an event which I/we are participating in).

What are three things, true or un-true, that others might say about you:
    1. His word IS his bond!
    2. He cares as much about us, as if we were his own blood!
    3. If I were enemies, I don’t want the sights of his rifle lined on me!

Other miscellaneous details: Included with this information are letters from myself to Sgt. Frankfort and Capt. Burke (who’s recently been promoted to rank of Major). Also, there is a letter from my wife to Maj. Burke. There is also a posting notice of my want and capture that appears in several places around the commonwealths of Pennsylvania, Virginia, Maryland and Delaware.

2. Jul 3, 2014 #2

tenngun

tenngun

tenngun

Cannon

How did you get the nick name 'mad Irish'?

3. Jul 5, 2014 #3

Mad Irish Jack

Mad Irish Jack

Mad Irish Jack

40 Cal.

I'm Irish by me parents doing, and I'm lucky and have voices that occasioally direct me in my actions regardless of how questionable they outwardly appear.:idunno: I have what my guys refer to as a questionable demeanor.:youcrazy: When most would cuss and scream out, :cursing::haha: I just laugh. When y'all laugh,.... :haha: I do too! Any questionable situation that comes about, I may be found asking my voices above for guidance. :hmm: My family and friends are! :wink:, others aren't!:nono:

4. Jul 5, 2014 #4

tenngun

tenngun

tenngun

Cannon

read this in your best galic accent,(scots galic)I understand what your saying, I understand 'mad' and 'Irish', but arn't ye repeatin' your self lad?
    :haha:
    When I read your pesonas bio I thought there might be a story behind the 'mad'.I know somehow little inedents can become greatly exaerated until they take on a life of ther own.As a certen person of my aquaintnice was called 'canoe killer', even though the canoe survived well :haha:

5. Jul 5, 2014 #5

Mad Irish Jack

Mad Irish Jack

Mad Irish Jack

40 Cal.

Aye! Someone of us has to do it! Usually it's the we in me. :headslap:

6. Jul 10, 2014 #6

Artificer

Artificer

Artificer

Cannon MLF Supporter

Jack,

That is a splendidly full persona. I particularly liked the fact you speak about your farm and farm animals plus your Indentured Servants. It adds much to the believability of your character.

May I say, "Well done?!"
    Gus

7. Jul 13, 2014 #7

No Powder

No Powder

No Powder

40 Cal.

Not all of us can be Irish. Someone has got to drive. :haha: :headslap: :rotf:

8. Jul 15, 2014 #8

Mad Irish Jack

Mad Irish Jack

Mad Irish Jack

40 Cal.

Thanks, I think I can down another!

9. Jul 20, 2014 #9

jethro224

jethro224

jethro224

I'll second that one for sure! :shocked2:

10. Sep 21, 2014 #10

Preacher Jeremy

Preacher Jeremy

Preacher Jeremy

45 Cal.

From one Irish man to another, well done, and I leave you with an old Irish blessing: May you get to heaven a half an hour before the devil knows your dead.

NW Territory Woodsman likes this.
  11. Oct 13, 2014 #11

Sean Gadhar

Sean Gadhar

Sean Gadhar

69 Cal. MLF Supporter

In 17XX that would have been a lot of stock on that much ground, :wink: I take it you ment 10 acres cleared or that your man grazes your stock on common land spring & summer so you can harvest 9 acres of hay (two harvests hopefully ) so as to have feed all winter. :thumbsup: