• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Ma Deuce Cleaning Rod for Range Rod

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Remember reading a recommendation for the Ma Deuce rod as a range rod and bought one. Something of an ML novice, and thought to see if anyone else can contribute some suggestions/insight.
My rifle is .54 and I think I should add some sort of washers to center/stabilize the rod should I need to pull a ball. Hoping to find ball pullers, jags etc to fit this rod. If not, I suspect I can get an adapter machined.
Think I should get a nut sleeved on the rod and spot welded near the handle should I need to use a wrench to use a screw type ball puller.
Your thoughts?

Well, it should work,, but kind of an over-kill for the job.
I used to think that multi-piece cleaning rods where handy too. Then I figured out that a simple common thread single rod works great, and was no matter of inconvenience at all.
If ya like extra gadgets, go for it,,
I'd recommend a "Bore Protector" though, they help a lot.
https://www.trackofthewolf.com/List/Item.aspx/583/1

Remember reading a recommendation for the Ma Deuce rod as a range rod and bought one. Something of an ML novice, and thought to see if anyone else can contribute some suggestions/insight.
My rifle is .54 and I think I should add some sort of washers to center/stabilize the rod should I need to pull a ball. Hoping to find ball pullers, jags etc to fit this rod. If not, I suspect I can get an adapter machined.
Think I should get a nut sleeved on the rod and spot welded near the handle should I need to use a wrench to use a screw type ball puller.
Your thoughts?
Great idea about the nut welded on for wrench use. Most ball pullers are mounted in a bore riding disc to keep the worm centered. YMMV

They work great. I have sections from two .30 GI rods that make a rod long enough for all of my BP rifles. The "T" handle helps a lot

With the T handle the nut would be overkill. The nice thing about T handles if you get a patch stuck, or are pulling a ball, You can place the T handle on the ground under your feet and use your leg mussels to do the pulling.

Well, it should work,, but kind of an over-kill for the job.
I used to think that multi-piece cleaning rods where handy too. Then I figured out that a simple common thread single rod works great, and was no matter of inconvenience at all.
If ya like extra gadgets, go for it,,
I'd recommend a "Bore Protector" though, they help a lot.
https://www.trackofthewolf.com/List/Item.aspx/583/1
The multi-piece aspect is not important to me. I was considering high grade Loctite or peening to make it one piece. It is, after all, a range rod. Not something for the woods.
Thanks for the "Bore Protector" thought and link!

With the T handle the nut would be overkill. The nice thing about T handles if you get a patch stuck, or are pulling a ball, You can place the T handle on the ground under your feet and use your leg mussels to do the pulling.
That's a good thought for using the T under foot. Thanks!
Still going to want that nut though because the T spins on the rod.

The multi-piece aspect is not important to me. I was considering high grade Loctite or peening to make it one piece. It is, after all, a range rod. Not something for the woods.
Thanks for the "Bore Protector" thought and link!
I have made bore protectors for my range rods from the synthetic corks used in wine bottles these days. Drill the appropriate size hole for the rod, and taper the cork with a disk sander. I have had one on my 3/8 brass range rod for near 10 years now.

Back