• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

M1863 Remington Contract Rifle

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Theirs an Italian Armi Jager reproduction of a M1863 Remington contract Rifle aka Zouave Rifle for sale near me it’s. 58 cal. I would like to know if they are a well made Reproduction one and would it be a good rifle for a 1st shooter of a 58 cal rifle thanks.

They are a pretty good rifle, but no longer in production if any parts are needed. I'd give it a good going over to make sure everything is good. You don't mention price, but I'd say no more than $300 would be a decent deal. They were designed to shoot minie balls, which you have to do some measuring of your bore to get the right size for best results. Round balls can be used as well, just depends on how you want to do it.

They are a pretty good rifle, but no longer in production if any parts are needed. I'd give it a good going over to make sure everything is good. You don't mention price, but I'd say no more than $300 would be a decent deal. They were designed to shoot minie balls, which you have to do some measuring of your bore to get the right size for best results. Round balls can be used as well, just depends on how you want to do it.
Thanks he’s asking $500 or BRO

Is this bad should I be concerned with pitting. I may go look at this rifle .
813E0CF9-936A-4D54-A5D2-46E3BAAB79B9.jpeg

I looked at it today it’s in nice condition the front of the bore looks good had a hard time seeing back of the bore. The rifling look good on what I can see. He never shot it. He wants $440 for it. I’m think I will buy it next Saturday . What’s a good way to check the whole bore. Thanks

Last edited:
Drop in bore light is the best way. You can also run a tight cleaning patch down the bore and feel for any rough spots, but I'd prefer to see it as well.

If he never shot it then how did the pitting get around the nipple area??? I think he is not telling you the whole story! I also think he sees a sucker - offer him $375 and see what he has to say. Run a snug lightly lubed patch down the bore and if it feels rough then he has shot it and not cared for it well. Good Luck :ghostly: :horseback:

If he never shot it then how did the pitting get around the nipple area??? I think he is not telling you the whole story! I also think he sees a sucker - offer him $375 and see what he has to say. Run a snug lightly lubed patch down the bore and if it feels rough then he has shot it and not cared for it well. Good Luck :ghostly:
He got it used he moved to different guns.

Last edited:
Back