• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

M1842 Aston Johnson Repro?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello everyone!

As some of you may know, I am a fan and proponent of the 19th century single-shot cavalry "horse pistols", typically .54 caliber smoothbore handguns widely used in the U.S. military before the adoption of revolvers. One of my most favorite example is the M1842 Aston Johnson pistol:

us_model_1842_aston_pistol_mexican_american_civi.jpg

This gun was heavily used during the Mexican American War and early years of the Civil War, primarily in the south. These guns were in such high usage by our military that I always considered it odd than nobody has ever made a working reproduction of it.

Everyone, I'll cut right to it. I think we need a quality reproduction of this gun! In fact, I've felt that way for a long time, and last year I contacted Davide Pedersoli of Italy and what follows is our conversation:

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Me:

Hello, I think it would be great if your company were to produce a replica of the famous U.S. Model 1842 Percussion Pistol. I have talked to many in the black powder community and they all are wanting this model. It was used heavily before the Colt Revolver in the United States.

Thank you for considering this, if you make these, I guarantee they will sell. I will buy two at least! Thanks again.

Pedersoli:

Thank you for the suggestion.

Can you address us to a web site where we can look at the gun and collect information for further evaluations?

Best regards,

Customer Service
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Davide-Pedersoli-C/198648030179957

DAVIDE PEDERSOLI & C.
Via Artigiani, 57
I-25063 GARDONE VALTROMPIA
(Brescia) Italy
ph. +39 030 8915000
fax +39 030 8911019 www.davide-pedersoli.com

Me:

Absolutely,

Here is a gun magazine article on the Aston Johnson Model 1842 percussion pistol: http://gunsmagazine.com/web-blast-the-astonjohnson-martial-pistol-of-1842/

Here is an informational pamphlet on it as well: http://www.nramuseum.org/media/940325/1842 article.pdf

This is a very historical pistol in America, and I was surprised that no one was making a reproduction of it. I have spoken with several in the black powder community and they all are very interested in buying reproductions of the pistol. I would buy at least two of them myself. I think it would be great if it were in the authentic .54 caliber as well. If there is anything else I can assist you with, please let me know!

V/r

Pedersoli:

Thank you, let's stay in touch.

Will submit your inquiry to our managers for further evaluations.

Best regards,
Customer Service

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Needless to say, they seemed interested in possibly making a reproduction of this gun. I personally believe that Pedersoli makes some of the best reproduction Civil War era weapons available, and they have plenty of experience in making handguns. Their recent Harpers Ferry M1805 percussion pistol, .54 smoothbore, is a great gun. I think they could make an M1842 Aston Johnson replica and it would sell, especially with the new N-SSA smoothbore pistol event.

I urge anyone reading this to please contact Pedersoli and ask them to make an accurate repro of this gun. It would take only a moment, and our combined efforts could reward the shooting and reenacting communities with a fine, historic replica. All of the contact information is included above, but here is their customer service email:

[email protected]

Thank you all so much for your help. We can make this happen together!

V/r

Earl Burlin

Last edited by a moderator:
I just tried to find it , but could not, but I remember a South American co. made it . I last saw the site about 3 years ago.

Back