• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Lymans Great Plains Rifle Opening and Testing....

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I researched and read plenty of positive comments on a different thread somewhere else on this website and finally bought a Lymans Great Plains Rifle for Christmas 2020. I know...its "unAmerican" for me to leave a gun in the box that long! LOL
However.....I finally put it together and tested it on camera last week. Enjoy the results:

Looks as if you were gifted a good rifle. I would have expected to hear your preparations for the first shot by cleaning all the new gun preservation grease from the bore. But we have heard that story from many others so that's really not necessary. I am impressed that in your shots there were no hang fires or significantly noticeable delays. Good introductory review and now the Lyman Great Plains is being superseded by the Lyman/Pedersoli Signature Series rifles. Such is the march of progress (continuous improvement?).

I researched and read plenty of positive comments on a different thread somewhere else on this website and finally bought a Lymans Great Plains Rifle for Christmas 2020. I know...its "unAmerican" for me to leave a gun in the box that long! LOL
However.....I finally put it together and tested it on camera last week. Enjoy the results:

Nice! Looks like you had to slightly force the barrel to sit in the stock just a smidge. My Trade Rifle had to be forced too hard to lay in the stock so I adjusted the tang until it just sat down of its own accord. In my mind having to bend the stock to meet the barrel could lead to a crack in the breech area. Your thoughts?

I really like my GPR, I am still in the phase of sighting in want to get it dialed in at 100/125 yards. I am using the fixed rear and taking my time filing the front sight down slow. Found a New version T/C hammer have yet to put in on though, heard it gives the Lyman lock better geometry. Not that I have a problem with the factory one. It has gone boom every time with the RMC liner and a good English flint. I have shot the first flint down to a numb lost count of how many shots I got out it...lol
Here is a picture on my GPR.

Attachments

• IMG_20210309_171546.jpg
    IMG_20210309_171546.jpg
    91.4 KB · Views: 93
Last edited:
Looks as if you were gifted a good rifle. I would have expected to hear your preparations for the first shot by cleaning all the new gun preservation grease from the bore. But we have heard that story from many others so that's really not necessary. I am impressed that in your shots there were no hang fires or significantly noticeable delays. Good introductory review and now the Lyman Great Plains is being superseded by the Lyman/Pedersoli Signature Series rifles. Such is the march of progress (continuous improvement?).
I've heard that too. I believe it is a wives tale. I really didn't see any need to clean out the barrel before shooting it. It is going to see a lot of lead slinging around over the next few years and should be just fine. I've never "cleaned" a barrel out first. Thanks for watching.....

Nice! Looks like you had to slightly force the barrel to sit in the stock just a smidge. My Trade Rifle had to be forced too hard to lay in the stock so I adjusted the tang until it just sat down of its own accord. In my mind having to bend the stock to meet the barrel could lead to a crack in the breech area. Your thoughts?
Agree, it could crack. ...and...the Lymans book say "NOT" to force the barrel. I just didn't have it dropped in very well. After the video was over, it came in and out just fine. I probably should have filmed that section over.

I really like my GPR, I am still in the phase of sighting in want to get it dialed in at 100/125 yards. I am using the fixed rear and taking my time filing the front sight down slow. Found a New version T/C hammer have yet to put in on though, heard it gives the Lyman lock better geometry. Not that I have a problem with the factory one. It has gone boom every time with the RMC liner and a good English flint. I have shot the first flint down to a numb lost count of how many shots I got out it...lol
Here is a picture on my GPR.
WOW....that is VERY cool looking GPR!! I tried flint up with lousy results. Once I turned it over, it has worked VERY well since. I shot it yesterday over 80 times and changed out 3 flints. It worked very well. Thanks for watching.....

WOW....that is VERY cool looking GPR!! I tried flint up with lousy results. Once I turned it over, it has worked VERY well since. I shot it yesterday over 80 times and changed out 3 flints. It worked very well. Thanks for watching.....
Thanks!
Yeah mine likes bevel edge down can't wait to test out the T/C hammer.

Mark, you left a new flintlock in the box since Christmas last year? You could make a fortune writing a book on willpower. 😄

Back